Newmac Oil/Wood Combination Boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muncybob

Minister of Fire
Apr 8, 2008
Near Williamsport, PA
I know, combo's are not the most efficient way to go....but, since receiving quotes on the chimney work I would need to have done for a gasifier and my old oil boiler as backup it's an upfront money decision I have made as to go with the combo boiler. I ruled out power venting the existing oil boiler to use the existing chimney for a wood boiler...this is also not exactly cheap for me to do and I have hardly found anybody that has had anything positive to say about power venting oil boilers.

So, looks like I will be removing the old oil boiler, installing ss liner into existing chimney and connecting the combo boiler to the chimney. Initially I cannot install storage but want to eventually. The installer is somewhat unfamiliar with the storage concept so I am looking for possible diagrams to show him for future expansion at minimal future cost. Also want to include finned baseboard in the basement for a dump zone and mixing valve(?) to be sure return water to the combo boiler is not below 140*.......am I forgetting anything?

One of the quotes I received on the Newmac combo oil/wood boiler includes shaker grates for coal. I seem to remember reading a post about a different mfg.l boiler in which somebody advised against this option....why?

I have seen many diagrams but just am unsure of which concept would be best for this scenario?

My understanding from a couple of co-workers about coal is it generates alot of ash, I mean alot. One stopped burning it because its become a problem to dispose of (doesnt have alot of woods to dump it in.

Power vents can be less expensive if you install it yourself. Problem there is you need someone to purchase it for you to get the contractor discount. Mine cost $450 and about another $200 in parts to install.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/19466/

~ Phil

If it's just the ash disposal problem then I'm ok as I have lots of area to dispose of it.....but something in the back of this feable mind tells me there was a functional problem using the coal grates with the wood boiler??

The problem I have with the power vent is to be within code I would have to run apprx 25' from the oil boiler to the exit out of the house and that exit would be on the prevailing wind side of the house.

The power vent I installed could be 50ft pipe feet away from the boiler, elbows cost 10ft so it didnt take long for it to add up, two elbows cost you 20ft alone. Another thought is to ditch the oil boiler and put in a wood only boiler and a on demand propane direct vent for backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.