NEWP Deposit plant....pellet storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imacman

I recently posted on the NEWP thread started by NEWP rep Amanda, and was curious about the outdoor storage I saw while driving past the plant last Sunday.

www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/56239/P44/#644466

My question was this: "Amanda, drove past the Deposit plant today. I see MANY, MANY,MANY, tons of pellets, but they are all sitting outside, and many of them have been out there since the last time I went past the plant, about 1 1/2 months ago.

Any plans to store the pellets indoors?"

Amanda sent me a response by PM, and she said it was alright to share her response with the forum members:

"Imacman, We have a very large warehouse in Deposit that is full of pellets. All pellets that are currently stored outside in Schuyler & Deposit are double cover bagged for extra protection. I hope that addresses your question about the pellets you are seeing outside."

Thoughts on this by the forum members?

I don't think outdoor storage is as bad as some. There are a few good practices to follow to "make the best of it". Don't sit the pellets i the grass where perspiration from the grass will rise into the hoods and go through a repeat process of evaporate and condense under the hood. Don't put them in poor draining soil that will allow water to wick up into the lower bags and then evaporate and condense as mentioned. Double bag is smart cuz those bags can't take direct sun for too long before they get brittle. All in all it would be hard to store, what, 10,15,20 thousand tons indoors all the time.

Delta-T said:
I don't think outdoor storage is as bad as some. There are a few good practices to follow to "make the best of it". Don't sit the pellets i the grass where perspiration from the grass will rise into the hoods and go through a repeat process of evaporate and condense under the hood. Don't put them in poor draining soil that will allow water to wick up into the lower bags and then evaporate and condense as mentioned. Double bag is smart cuz those bags can't take direct sun for too long before they get brittle. All in all it would be hard to store, what, 10,15,20 thousand tons indoors all the time.

x2
all i buy is outdoor stored pellets.
never ran into any problems yet.

imacman said:
I recently posted on the NEWP thread started by NEWP rep Amanda, and was curious about the outdoor storage I saw while driving past the plant last Sunday.

www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/56239/P44/#644466

My question was this: "Amanda, drove past the Deposit plant today. I see MANY, MANY,MANY, tons of pellets, but they are all sitting outside, and many of them have been out there since the last time I went past the plant, about 1 1/2 months ago.

Any plans to store the pellets indoors?"

Amanda sent me a response by PM, and she said it was alright to share her response with the forum members:

"Imacman, We have a very large warehouse in Deposit that is full of pellets. All pellets that are currently stored outside in Schuyler & Deposit are double cover bagged for extra protection. I hope that addresses your question about the pellets you are seeing outside."

Thoughts on this by the forum members?

Guess my thought would be,"Do they advertise that their pellets are stored indoors?" If they don't no problemo. If they do, well.........

Nope they don't advertise that. As a dealer we have never had any water damaged pellets come from the plant. They're storage practices seem good to me. Most pellets sit on pavement at the Schuyler plant and they inspect them before they go on the trucks to make sure they are not damaged.

Does not bother me as most mills store their pellets outside anyway.

My concern is how many hands they go through before I get them. The more the pellets get
handled, the more fines in my bags.

Status
Not open for further replies.