News flash from stihl! for you octane haters!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bigg_Redd said:
smokinjay said:
fyrwoodguy said:
Bigg_Redd said:
CTBurner said:
The airport near me has AV gas both LL100 and LL80 am i correct in that the LL100 would be best choice for saws

Yes

i'm with you redd...+1

How much a gallon does this run? Average is fine.

I really couldn't say. I'm still using stuff I've had since '09.

Wow....I have a couple small airports close just dont want to drop a 50.00 for 5 gallons.

Bigg_Redd said:
Call a couple of them. I'm betting you'd be closer to 10 gallons for $50.00

Sounds good i will check 5.00 a gallon don't bad to bypass the ethanol all together.

Bigg_Redd said:

100LL avgas averages about $5.65 a gallon throughout the US. I'm paying near $4.00 for 89 octave auto gas. For as little as I use, the premium of $1.65 or so per gallon would be worth it in the long run for the health and well being of my saw investment.

A two gallon can might last me a year.

Kenster said:
Bigg_Redd said:

100LL avgas averages about $5.65 a gallon throughout the US. I'm paying near $4.00 for 89 octave auto gas. For as little as I use, the premium of $1.65 or so per gallon would be worth it in the long run for the health and well being of my saw investment.

A two gallon can might last me a year.

Thats my thought as well. Milling takes up some fuel but should run a little better maybe getting a little better gas mileage helping to off set that a little.

price i got from airport was 5.65 per gallon for LL100

CTBurner said:
price i got from airport was 5.65 per gallon for LL100

Hard to complain with that. Once its 15 percent this will be cheaper. (after additives)

I can still get 91 no ethanol gas here but as soon as I can't, I'll definitely be heading to the airport. For those that want to find prices in their area:

http://www.airnav.com/fuel/local.html

I'm all about making you happy, Jay!!

wendell said:
I'm all about making you happy, Jay!!

Yea, Wendall I know thats your goal. Hate to see that 7900 get beat by a little 460. :lol:

smokinjay said:
Yea, Wendall I know thats your goal. Hate to see that 7900 get beat by a little 460. :lol:

WTH are you talking about. My 2171 would take down any 460. The 7901 wouldn't even break a sweat. ;-)

wendell said:
smokinjay said:

WTH are you talking about. My 2171 would take down any 460. The 7901 wouldn't even break a sweat. ;-)

lol :cheese: " I’m all about making you happy, Jay!!" Man that didnt last long! :lol:

Oh, sorry. I didn't know we were talking about your 460. ;-)

wendell said:
Oh, sorry. I didn't know we were talking about your 460. ;-)

LOL Funny! :lol:

The two airports I called in my area said they can only sell fuel to aircraft.So how does one like myself purchase this fuel ?

I think they have to say that but I know many people are doing it. I'd just stop out, be friendly, get to know somebody and see what happens. Or, try to become friends with a pilot. I'm sure things are a little more strict out on the east coast than elsewhere.

Rich L said:
The two airports I called in my area said they can only sell fuel to aircraft.So how does one like myself purchase this fuel ?

Since there is no road tax assessed on AvGas it's not legal to burn in licensed highway vehicles, but, there's no law against filling up a gas can. However, if it's just their policy to sell only to aircraft I guess you're SOL. If they are close stop by and 'splain that you'd rather use quality fuel in your power equipment and I bet they'll let you fill up your gas can. If possible speak to the actual owner of the AP, not the receptionist. No offense ladies but 99% of you don't get it.

Here at the local heliport they have a self-serve card lock that sells 100LL and I'm starting to use AV gas in my saws and lawn equipment. I've gotten sick of taking carburetors apart and cleaning them every season.

I got a quick question, I just replaced my second carb on my sthil weed trimmer, due to ethanol blended fuel, my question is can you you burn 100% octance in a sthil saw and weed trimmer without hurting the piston and ring? I have been told you can burn a hole in your piston with this jet fuel.

RIDGERUNNER30 said:
I got a quick question, I just replaced my second carb on my sthil weed trimmer, due to ethanol blended fuel, my question is can you you burn 100% octance in a sthil saw and weed trimmer without hurting the piston and ring? I have been told you can burn a hole in your piston with this jet fuel.

It's not "100%" octane. It's 100 octane. And the answer is no. I've cut 7-12 cord per year for the last 8 years with the old 290 burning mostly AvGas and my saw still runs like a top with zero carb maintenance or repair. High octane = more controlled burning = cooler engine temps at any given RPM. You are far more likely to damage your piston from early detonation associated with lower octane gasoline.

Thanks Bigg_Redd, I going to start using it, It to expensive to buy carbs and costly downtime.

Bigg_Redd said:
RIDGERUNNER30 said:

It's not "100%" octane. It's 100 octane. And the answer is no. I've cut 7-12 cord per year for the last 8 years with the old 290 burning mostly AvGas and my saw still runs like a top with zero carb maintenance or repair. High octane = more controlled burning = cooler engine temps at any given RPM. You are far more likely to damage your piston from early detonation associated with lower octane gasoline.

100 percent correct!

When you go to the county airport to get you gas just look for the nearest plane and use that tail number. Basically all they need is a number to put it against for the sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.