News flash from stihl! for you octane haters!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh BTW make sure its a recip hehehehehe. Don't use a turbine tail #

wkpoor said:
When you go to the county airport to get you gas just look for the nearest plane and use that tail number. Basically all they need is a number to put it against for the sale.

I use all "N"s

RIDGERUNNER30 said:
I got a quick question, I just replaced my second carb on my sthil weed trimmer, due to ethanol blended fuel, my question is can you you burn 100% octance in a sthil saw and weed trimmer without hurting the piston and ring? I have been told you can burn a hole in your piston with this jet fuel.

Make sure you use 100LL and not "jet-A" . jet-A is kerosene and will burn more then a hole in your piston...

for you guys that fear the AV Gas, you can blend in some regular if you really feel the need to add some corn to your OPE.

Angelo C said:
RIDGERUNNER30 said:
I got a quick question, I just replaced my second carb on my sthil weed trimmer, due to ethanol blended fuel, my question is can you you burn 100% octance in a sthil saw and weed trimmer without hurting the piston and ring? I have been told you can burn a hole in your piston with this jet fuel.

Make sure you use 100LL and not "jet-A" . jet-A is kerosene and will burn more then a hole in your piston...

for you guys that fear the AV Gas, you can blend in some regular if you really feel the need to add some corn to your OPE.

It's pretty tough to get Jet-A and 100LL confused at the pump. Even if you did put Jet-A in a saw I doubt it'd hurt anything cuz it wouldn't run.

lukem said:
oldspark said:
I will look for a link but ethanol does not burn cooler.

Sure it does. That's why it is popular with race cars. Doesn't pack as much punch as gas, but burns a lot cooler.

IIRC alcohol will produce 10 to 15 percent more horsepower than gasoline in a given engine. Yes, it does run cooler, maybe not burn cooler but it has something to do with the evaporation through the intake. Have you ever seen the size of a radiator on a big block chevy that was running alky?
It does weigh a touch less than gasoline but the problem is that properly tuned (gallon wise) you burn nearly twice as much.
Some sanctioning bodies will specify the fuel that you have to run but some of the local (sturday night) tracks are open.

Status
Not open for further replies.