newspaper brick maker

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG sounds like a catastrophe looking for a place to happen.

From: http://www.lehmans.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&itemID=7241
"A great way to recycle newspapers and an invaluable tool used in parts of the world where firewood is not readily available. Compressed wet newspaper dries into 8 1/2" x 3 1/4" bricks that burn at the rate of about 4 per hour. Just soak newspaper (mix with sawdust and chopped grass if desired) and fill brick maker, then press down on handles. Remove brick and allow to dry, then use like wood in your stove.

Made of heavy painted steel
101/4" Lx51/4" H
53/4" lb
Imported

Note: Paper bricks should not be used in a catalytic stove as the smoke may damage the catalyst. "

Ok so...
1 - if I burned four logs / hr I'd be out of firewood already.
2 - I think it'd be the moronic paper-based bricks that damage the catalyst, the flue, your baffle plate, firebricks.... the list goes on...
3 - and they're essentially saying "these things will make smoke" gnahhh!!

Most of the time, these things are listed as being used for making fire starters, not fuel. I've seen threads about them before, and no one has ever been happy with them.

I do like the newspaper grill, however.

Totally bogus if you think they will burn in the stove...save your money.

They've been around forever (of course, I'm using the term "forever" here to refer to my lifetime, or at least that portion of it that I can still remember). My dad had a similar device when I was a kid...like 50-some years ago. Soak the paper, roll it up and squish it, let it dry. He even went so far as to soak the "logs" in used motor oil. He was burning in a conventional masonry fireplace. My job was to keep it clean. Those darned things produced less sensible heat and more ash and unburned "paper log" than anything else my dad tossed into that fireplace...and he wasn't shy about what he burned. Rick

I used one of these, making the bricks was time consuming, they burned ok in a fireplace, but were more for looks than heat. I would only use this if you had no furniture left to burn.

News paper has not hurt my cat yet. I burn about 2 pages, waded up every fall when I build my fire for the year.

Newspapers belong in the blue box, not the fire box.
Speaking of cats, shreaded newspaper can be used for cat litter.
You can also lay down newspaper in the garden as mulch.

If you are diligent, you can also read some of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.