Newspaper logs in wood stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emt1581

Minister of Fire
Jul 6, 2010
PA
I've seen this crank/lathe machine that spins newspapers into cylinders/logs. Is that ok to use for wood stoves or are newspapers good for getting things started in crumpled up balls but not good to toss on an existing fire?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

You don't need the machine. You can roll them tight by hand. Use some sort of tie to keep them rolled and soak them in water. Let them dry thoroughly, remove the tie, and burn.

I tried it when I heated with wood in the 80s. It wasn't worth the effort, so I quit. Today, there is also the issue of added pollutants from the inks. Some may be vegetable based and theoretically not too bad. Others, not so good, but you have no way of knowing which is which.

FWIW, the practice is illegal in some jurisdictions.

Sounds like a good way to clog the cap screen if there is one.

BeGreen said:
Sounds like a good way to clog the cap screen if there is one.

+1

i remember seeing those rollers when i was a kid.i thought it seemed like a good idea then. i dont burn any paper or pizza boxes in our stoves any more. a few years ago i was home when the sweep brought down the cap and showed me how clogged it got. i would burn the occasional pizza box . the recyclers dont take them here because of the grease soaking into the cardboard . i also was burning any paper that had personal info on it.i never realized the effect this had till i saw it first hand. its best to shread or fire pit the stuff. when ever we burn a pizza box outside its a flying ash mess even with a screen over the pit.

We had one when I was growing up also, used it once. If you want to use one be prepared for a lot of smoldering paper and the other results listed above

Those are best used as conversation pieces. Wood stoves are for burning wood.

Nice Backwoods, I saw these rollers as a kid too and I was a paperboy, I hated burning paper in the wood stove. My dad would make us start the fire using news print. I hated the smoke and ash when I opened the door. I agree wood and wood only!

Maybe if you roll'em, and then stack them in nice rows in the sun and wind for a year...

BrotherBart said:
Maybe if you roll'em, and then stack them in nice rows in the sun and wind for a year...
At least two summer months for the seasoning of the paper logs is what they suggest.

All I know is that the newspaper I get today doesn't burn like the newspaper a few years ago.

There is a definite decrease in performance. I have about 2 years of old newspaper left (don't ask) that I plan to use to keep starting my fires with in the shoulder season, then I will have to suck it up and spend money on super cedars. I don't even try to burn the new paper anymore.

Luckily my stove burns 24/7 for much longer than it burns intermittently.

With that said, i wouldn't try burning a newspaper log. 10 years ago, maybe.

pen

oldspark said:
BrotherBart said:
At least two summer months for the seasoning of the paper logs is what they suggest.

I hear battenkiller can get them dry in 8 days, 11 tops.

My Dad uses egg cartons ( one or two to start a fire) filled with dryer lint, and then with wax poured over them. He save all his egg carton, and lint....and usually get old candle donations at work. They work well, and are nearly free. Good project to do with little kids.

you have to mix saltpeter (potassium nitrate) into the soaking water.

Then the paper is impregnated with an oxidizer. They burn pretty well once dry.

I forget the mix ratio.... its been a long time.

I can think of a lot better things to do with my newspaper (namely using it to clean up the glass once or twice a week) . . . and a lot better uses of my time . . . I would rather spend the few extra minutes bucking and splitting wood than spending the time to roll up newspapers . . . there may be a reason why woodstoves are called woodstoves and not newspaperstoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.