Next batch is Kentucky Kernel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ro3bert

Dec 4, 2010
New Fairfield, CT
Just filled the hopper with the last of the American Biomass “Cleanfire†pellets.

Opened the first bag of Kentucky Kernels in prep to fire them up but first thought I’d do the microwave humidity test. Don’t know how much I put in but after a minute the cover had a bit more water on it than I understand should be. A bit ran off.

I admit they have been stored outside (under the “bag†the ton came in, shrink wrap and a tarp for a year and a half, but there are no apparent holes in the bags as in many others so not sure why the water. The Biomass pellets were stored outside under the same conditions for at least two years (with holes in the bags) and didn’t have the water content the Kernel’s seem to.

I decided to open all the bags I have in the house to see if they will dry out some. The humidity here is very low now that winter is here so I hope they will dry out a bit.

My neighbors helped me move the bags from the parking area to the other side of the house where they are more accessible to me so the bags at the bottom of the pile are now on the top of the pile. Since they were on the bottom originally one would think there would be little tiny holes in the plastic but there are none. Perhaps the plastic used by this producer is thicker than other producers.

Anyway in a couple of day now I will re-do the water content test to see if there is any difference.

I’ll let everyone know the results of the burning of the first bag and the results of the next water content test.

If the pellets had gotten wet, you would know it. They would be a pile of mush. Opening up the bags will not help them dry out either. You will be fine as long as they are still shiny hard pellets.

johnnycomelately said:
If the pellets had gotten wet, you would know it. They would be a pile of mush. Opening up the bags will not help them dry out either. You will be fine as long as they are still shiny hard pellets.

Hi Johnny

I didn't mean they were wet I've seen that before, in fact I have a bag outside that is swollen from getting wet inside, and on rare occasions a few mushy ones as you suggest. These are shiny and hard as you mention it's just the water content (by the micriowave test) is a little high.

I'll be putting them in the stove tomorrow morning so will see what if any difference they make (as compared to the Cleanfire pellets).

Moisture effects the BTU output of pellets and it doesn't take much to drop the heat output. They may burn fine but you could see some loss of heat. Moisture "may" also help them clinkers form.

I must be really lucky, I’ve never, in ten years, had a clincker in my stove no matter what I’ve thrown in. The only thing I’ve tried to keep out is dust. The installer and the dealer I bought it from cautioned me to make sure the final pound or two stayed in the bag so dust would be excluded.

I transfer that little bit to another bag and when I feel like it I sift the residue (a colander) to recover the pellets and put the dust and whatever fines go through the colander into the compost heap.

I’ve used about five or six different brands all stored outside and haven’t lost more than two 80lbs in probably (as nearly as I can recall) 10 tons. Don’t know the exact weight as I used to go to a pellet dealer and pick up 5 to 10 bags (afraid to put more in my Dodge minivan).

We’ll see what happens with the Kentucky Kernels.

Status
Not open for further replies.