Next Beech on the List

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This beech is in the same area has the beech I took today, so if the weather is'nt real bad I would like to get this Sunday. In the picture it looks steeper than it actually is.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_2520-1.jpg
    100_2520-1.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 224
Zap, we have only the occasional beech around here. Actually I don't think we have any...just the Blue Beech which is really the American Hornbeam. Is that an American Beech?

tfdchief said:
Zap, we have only the occasional beech around here. Actually I don't think we have any...just the Blue Beech which is really the American Hornbeam. Is that an American Beech?

tfdchief, yes it is. We are loaded with them but they seem to grow mostly on the side of some steep hills. Next heating season we'll have more beech then sugar maple seasoned for our colder weather.

zap

zapny said:
tfdchief said:

tfdchief, yes it is. We are loaded with them but they seem to grow mostly on the side of some steep hills. Next heating season we'll have more beech then sugar maple seasoned for our colder weather.

zap

You need a spread sheet for your inventory.....

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
tfdchief said:

zap

Looks like this next snowstorm might keep me from the inventory. I'll head back in Sunday morning and either grab that beech or I have 2-3 sugar maple that were topped off that need to come down.

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
tfdchief said:

zap

Looks like this next snowstorm might keep me from the inventory. I'll head back in Sunday morning and either grab that beech or I have 2-3 sugar maple that were topped off that need to come down.

zap

Zap - you are a wood gathering machine! Nice work! Cheers!

Zap,
i have noticed your many impressive posts about felling and gathering. I'm curious, do you have a set schedule for splitting and stacking or do you just cut when you feel like it, split when you feel like it etc?

-PB- said:
Zap,
i have noticed your many impressive posts about felling and gathering. I'm curious, do you have a set schedule for splitting and stacking or do you just cut when you feel like it, split when you feel like it etc?

During the winter months I try and get back in one out of two days unless the boss wants to do something. Last summer it seemed like I was back in every day plus the weekends.

Most of what I cut are down or leaners so I'm just starting to fell, but my goal is two trees on the weekend during the winter and once spring rolls around I'll start getting the trees that are down and on the hills. My goal will be to have over 20 cord stacked by this fall, we had close to 17 cord before we started burning this year.

zap

-PB- said:
Zap,
Zap is always cutting splitting and stacking! :)

apparently... love seeing the pics, keep it up Zap!

tfdchief said:

tfdchief, you are just about at the edge of where beech will grow. I remember in the Upper Peninsula of MI, the Escanaba River is about on the border. You will find lots of beech east of there and very few to the west. Some say there is none west of that river but there are a couple areas SW of Escanaba where there are several.

Status
Not open for further replies.