Next chain saw?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skinnykid

May 6, 2008
Next to a lake in NH
I already trying to decide on my next saw. Right now I am using a poulin that I got from Lowes. It works just fine But I cut as much as I can. I have been looking at Huskarvarna and Stihl. Only because I know they are good saws and I know there are dealers around this area. I like the Jonsered saws also but can't find a dealer in my area.

Any suggestions on a good saw? Thanks!

WILDTHING?

Just kidding here. So many choices, so little time. Suggestion: do a search in the forum for chainsaw or chainsaw suggestions. More reading on the subject than time to do it.

GO STIHL!!! (thought I would get the rumble started :coolsmirk: )

Any of the european saws are good. Husqvarna and Jonsered are made in the same factory and many models share the same motor. They have a better air filter system that allows less frequent cleaning. Stihl - also good , vibration mounts stand up to more abuse- ie pulling from stuck logs.

They all have there positives and negatives. Pick a color!!

I just adopeted a stray chainsaw................

Anyone know if the Husq from Sears are the same as from anywhere else or if they are made more cheaply?? I actually want to by a saw from my local dealer (and friend) but I have a $300 gift card for Sears - and I do not need anything else right now...

I see "skinnykid" started out with a cheap saw, that's my practice, but I don't use more than a few hours run time on a saw per year. Keeping the chain sharp and replaced is my big effort...bet that's the same on all saws...could I be wrong on that one?

I have several saws, all inexpensive. The one I use most is a 14 inch Homelite $99 at Home Depot and elsewhere. Looks great cuts well...well to tell the truth on the current saw, my second in 15 years, I have been having a power problem, and think I got it whacked by trying to adjust the high speed jet. Now that's not easy to do on new saws (spell that EPA) as the adjustments are hidden. In fact I have a post out on two other forums about the carb adjustment complexity...then too that may be because I have an inexpensive saw.

Hum, hope I didn't hi-jack this thread..to the point, if inexpensive (cheap) works, why spend more? Of course, if you can find one made in the US, that's a good reason to pay more.

I just picked up a Dolmar 5100s a few weeks ago for $379.00 and can't be happier. I'm coming from a 42cc Crafstman and a 46cc Paulon Pro.
The Dolmar 5100s cuts multiple circles around both of those saws with ease.

It has an aluminum body
Cranks out 3.9 hp
Weighs 11.2 lbs.
Really good anti-vibe

WoodButcher

CTwoodnpelletburner said:
Anyone know if the Husq from Sears are the same as from anywhere else or if they are made more cheaply?? I actually want to by a saw from my local dealer (and friend) but I have a $300 gift card for Sears - and I do not need anything else right now...

Made in Mexico. Get the Stihl. Don't waste your money on anything else. read reviews online for the big-box Husqvarna line. I think you;ll find that they are homelites with a prettier sticker on them.

My Stihl 361 has been worth every penny. I was hesitant to spend that much $$, but it cuts through 30" white oak and hickory like butter. YOu can cut for days with the Stihl chains, too. I have a craftsman saw that I used previously, and I'd get about 45 minutes out of that chain (oregon brand).

GO FOR THE STIHL!!!!!!!

There are many good saws out there, but for $200 your going to get a consumer saw. For occasional use there fine, but entry level saws are just that and it doesn't matter who makes them. Professional saws cost a lot more. But there are many people that believe what ever they have is the best and that's not true. I have a number of saws and everyone is from a different manufacturer and I like them all. They each have there place and are designed for specific purposes.

The 16" and 18" bar Huskies sold at Sears are the 40cc 142 e-series. I have two of them and they are both made in the U.S. of A. I have the 16" bars and wouldn't recommend any longer than that on them but they are cuttin little dudes. They won't win any lumberjack competitions but man are they light and easy to use for this old fart.

Personally I would stick with a Pro-series saw - which you will only find at a dealer. Its worth spending the extra money. The Pro saws have a higher hp/weight ratio. Generally turn faster which = faster cutting. Overall the Pro saws are higher performance and built to last.

I also have a 16" Sears, not sure which model, but not an expensive one. I've owned it for three or four years but rarely use it as my lighter 14" does most of what I do.. i.e., I'm not taking down or cutting up any big ones.

Interesting on the testimony about Stihl brand chains, staying sharp enough to use "days", which I must assume means running several hours each day, otherwise what? I can testify that the Oregon chains I purchase from Walmart and Home Depot don't hold up more than a few hours. So, if a Stihl blade is that much better they aare worth at least 5 times as much $$$, not sure they are made for my Sears, Homelite and Pouland bars...but I may check. But, not sure I have anything strong enough to sharpen such a hard blade :question:

BrotherBart said:
The 16" and 18" bar Huskies sold at Sears are the 40cc 142 e-series. I have two of them and they are both made in the U.S. of A. I have the 16" bars and wouldn't recommend any longer than that on them but they are cuttin little dudes. They won't win any lumberjack competitions but man are they light and easy to use for this old fart.

I was looking at the Husqvarna 550. I am almost positive it was "made in Mexico". I had read that Husqvarna started making all othe big box stuff in mexico. Guess i was wrong. Something to keep an eye on, I guess.

woodmaster said:
Personally I would stick with a Pro-series saw - which you will only find at a dealer. Its worth spending the extra money. The Pro saws have a higher hp/weight ratio. Generally turn faster which = faster cutting. Overall the Pro saws are higher performance and built to last.

I purchased a stihl 027 a month ago and love it. This was replacing my 30 year old stihl 028. It has easy open fillers, no wrench chain adjustment, and purs like a kitten.

As for needing the best, I usually go for the top end but when I asked the dealer about the pro 026 he said it was way overkill unless I needed it every day. I asked him several times and he assured me the 026 I purchased would last me my lifetime and more. Saved only a few bucks but why spend more than you need to?

Wife was looking for a lawn chair for the back yard and she picked out a 200 buck one. I showed her the 40 buck ones and said she could replace this 5 times over the expensive one which would probably not last any longer. Lucky me, she opted for the cheaper one with enough saved to get me a new chair if I wanted one. :)

Someone besides Stihl makes chain saws? :cheese:

I paid about $260 over ten years ago for an 025 and have been very happy with it. Always starts in about 4 pulls no matter how long it has been sitting around (6-9 months w/no stabil). It has withstood a lot of abuse and has never needed anything but a new chain occasionally. When I finally decide to go cut wood, I don't want to have to putz around with the saw to get it running. I tried someone elses (Oregon?) chains a few years ago and seemed to wear out a lot quicker; maybe it was my imagination?

I can't stand cheap tools and figured Stihl couldn't be garbage if they sell so many. Yes, there are other competent brands out there, but for the occasional use home-wood-stove-owner like me, the Stihl was a good pick. Reputable dealers all over here, too!

Chris

I have a Craftsman/Poulan and a Stihl 310, both 18". Very happy I have 2 saws and my Stihl is the primary. Went with Stihl because there are 3 Stihl vendors/repair places within 15 miles and the nearest Husky or Dolmar place was 25 miles away. My Stihl 310 needs very little maintenance and with a sharp full chisel chain, it really goes through the logs.......Never a lick of problem.........

CTwoodnpelletburner said:

I was wondering the same thing, the local hardware store suddenly sells husky saws and other outdoor equipment. I was saying to myself "those saws are probably wimped out models"

I Wonder......

Y'know- I think the ultimate saw would be the engine out of a KX 80, powervalve and all. Then you'll be cuttin wood.......................

I've got an Echo with an 18" bar from Home Depot ($299) and have been very pleased with its operation and performance. Light weight, low vibration and ripped through about 6 cords of red oak with relative ease. I did push the saw a bit beyond its limits with some of the 30" diameter log butts, but it got the job done.

Go for the Stihl. A great saw is the MS290 farm boss...and I believe it will accept up to a 20" bar.

sullystull said:
Go for the Stihl. A great saw is the MS290 farm boss...and I believe it will accept up to a 20" bar.

Funny you wrote that, I decided on the Stihl. There is a dealer/service place less than 5 miles from my house. I went there to check out the saws and drop off some chains to be sharpened..

I think it was the MS 290 that the guy was showing me. He said it was in the professional category so it was built to take a whoopin.

He showed me a side by side comparison to the biggest saw he had, the MS 290 was 3 pounds lighter but had almost the same power.

It comes with a 16" bar.

Now I just need to blow up my poulin of find some other excuse to get one right now!

One thing I've never understood was the need for a homeowner to have a dealer close by to service the chainsaw. How offen does the average saw go go in. I've never taken my saw in, and if it broke I would
drive or ship it to be repaired.

Having the Poulin is a bonus. I will never go cutting without my cheap Craftsman alongside my Stihl in case I pinch a bar or get stuck. I always bring both with me along with a 4' pry bar.
As far as the model 290 is concerned, I think that is the one that can perform with the larger Stihl models but costs 40 or 50 bucks less.

I have a Husky 51 (or is it 55?) that I've had for 15 years or so and I've probably cut 100+ cords of wood with it. For the past 4 years I haven't used it much and it still starts great and runs perfect. I have a small Echo that I used to use for limbing or when I climbed, but that rarely gets any use at all.
I'm going to get back into wood burning here very soon and I will most likely be looking for a new saw. I'll look at both the Husky's and Stihl (never heard of those other German ones before...) but hwatever I get I will be looking at a pro saw this time. My Husky searved it's perpose but my BIL has a pro-model husky that is at least 4 years older than mine and it'll out-cut my saw hands down.
I too have heard great things about the Stihl chains and for what it's worth I think the Stihls are significantly quieter than the Huskys.

Status
Not open for further replies.