next seasons wood....(pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crackshot

Jan 15, 2011
Moosup ct
well so far so good, 5.5 cord ready to go. and now starting for next year. should be (at least) all down,bucked and home by the end of april,early may. 45% white oak, 45% red oak, and 10% ash with a red maple tree mixed in. i cant honestly say I cant wait for next year, and to start tearing this pile apart!... this is my first week burning (in my own home) and it has been wicked awsome... the heat hasnt been on all week! heres the pics....
100_0151-3.jpg

100_0152.jpg

100_0153-1.jpg

100_0154.jpg

100_0082-1.jpg

Nice work! Is the wood under cover already seasoned, or are you seasoning that way? Cheers!

Crackshot, nice and clean and looks great. Because of this site we have three years worth of wood stacked and ready with the fourth and fifth years just waiting in the woods.

Zap

the wood under the tarp isnt seasoned, iknow i know, 1 year on oak ! but its the only choice i have, I got to it all wicked early, 2 month ago, and busted it up, right now if I grab a split and split it, and throw on the moisture reader it shows 20% so im praying theyll be ok by this winter, they get lots of sun, and were always pretty windy so, I hope so. yes it will be seasoning right there.............. zap,.... i plan on being 3 years ahead by late fall this year... the machine and easy access will allow it.

Sweet looking stacks. I bet the backhoe comes in handy around the ranch? You buy that new?

Nice looking wood piles, keep the pictures coming, :zip:

maxed_out said:
Sweet looking stacks. I bet the backhoe comes in handy around the ranch? You buy that new?
no bought it 6 years ago , its a side gig, additions, landscaping , driveways, stumping ect, ect, payed it off 6 months ago, so it can sit there as long as it wants now,.... side work has been really slow, but i usually get 1-2 additions in the summer months, so looking forward to be able to save ALL of it

Nice neat stacks of wood.
Looks like you're in good shape for a few years.
I've read here 2 years+ for Oak, But don't have any to know the season times of it.
Lots of BTUs for sure
Good job.
Nice pictures

Looking really good and I bet that backhoe does come in handy. I've considered buying one myself.

Nice looking stacks but if you want the wood to dry as fast as possible single rows will get you there quicker.

crackshot said:
the wood under the tarp isnt seasoned, iknow i know, 1 year on oak ! but its the only choice i have, I got to it all wicked early, 2 month ago, and busted it up, right now if I grab a split and split it, and throw on the moisture reader it shows 20% so im praying theyll be ok by this winter, they get lots of sun, and were always pretty windy so, I hope so. yes it will be seasoning right there.............. zap,.... i plan on being 3 years ahead by late fall this year... the machine and easy access will allow it.

You have 20% now very good, how dry are you shooting for, I have oak 14 mo. and still 28% :zip: Would be nice to have access to a backhoe; LOL

cptoneleg said:
Would be nice to have access to a backhoe; LOL

If mine died today - I would have a replacement by the end of the week. I have on old, leaky, worn out 580CK with forward/reverse shuttle that will STILL do more work than most CUT type tractors could wish for. Not bashing the CUTs, just saying that an industrial piece of equipment is typically just a workhorse.

By the way - nice stacks. Looks like you are ahead of the curve now.

oldspark said:
Nice looking stacks but if you want the wood to dry as fast as possible single rows will get you there quicker.

What oldspark said is what I understand...gotta get all the air it can get for the quickest drying. It looks like you have plenty of room. I stack in 12' long lengths, 1/2 cord to the stack, single row. Here's how mine look. The picture is a little dated being as there's actually another stack there now and enough splits and rounds to get another cord stacked. I'm in south Alabama and hoping maybe to use some of this water oak for the 11/12 season...we will see, gonna be pushing it. I do have some well seasoned oak just in case... ;) Ed

ETA: Nice pile of wood and 'ho.

FWJan2011-CTurner_20110129_7662Medium.jpg

If you don't have the space to season in single rows (I don't), I find that splitting more of my wood into about 1/2 the size as the above pic does the trick when stacked on pallets (my preferred method).

However, stacking on pallets seems to benefit alot more from covering it, as otherwise the wood in the middle gets alot of water deep down that doesn't evaporate for awhile.

joefrompa said:
If you don't have the space to season in single rows (I don't), I find that splitting more of my wood into about 1/2 the size as the above pic does the trick when stacked on pallets (my preferred method).

However, stacking on pallets seems to benefit alot more from covering it, as otherwise the wood in the middle gets alot of water deep down that doesn't evaporate for awhile.
Good point on covering for the middle stack's benefit!

Ed

Intheswamp said:
joefrompa said:

Good point on covering for the middle stack's benefit!

Ed
+1 for us who stack in single rows covering the top makes less sense but very important when stacked in multiple rows.

Not sure what I like better the saws the jd or the wood! Sweeet!

smokinjay said:
Not sure what I like better the saws the jd or the wood! Sweeet!
... lmao,.... same as i , just like a little kid when it comes to chainsaws and heavy equiptment! lol, its even better when their together goin out into the woods!(the saws and the dirty hoe), and yes , thats her name, "ye ole dirty hoe"

Intheswamp said:
oldspark said:

What oldspark said is what I understand...gotta get all the air it can get for the quickest drying. It looks like you have plenty of room. I stack in 12' long lengths, 1/2 cord to the stack, single row. Here's how mine look. The picture is a little dated being as there's actually another stack there now and enough splits and rounds to get another cord stacked. I'm in south Alabama and hoping maybe to use some of this water oak for the 11/12 season...we will see, gonna be pushing it. I do have some well seasoned oak just in case... ;) Ed

ETA: Nice pile of wood and 'ho.

Those are some nice looking stacks too Ed.

Nice job, I like the backhoe. Wish I had one for taking the stumps out and the occasional trench. I have a Bobcat track machine and really like it. I loaded some logs on a trailer today to take to the sawmill. I am going to have to rent an excavator to eliminate some stumps, I can push over the smaller trees but the big boys need the backhoe.

track skid steers rock,.... i wish I had one, you can do so much with them its scary,... but I hear ya on the larger scale stuff, I have thought about it numerous times,.. trading in the dirty hoe for a bobcat,.... the only thing that holds me back is that i drive the hoe to alot of places by road for sidework, and that would be out of the question with a bobcat

I have also wondered about a track bobcat as a proper replacement and I always come back with the hoe. You wouldn't think so, but I use the dang thing all the time. Heck, I will even unload my trailer with it, if it has big rounds on it. Just sit to the side and swipe them off.

Status
Not open for further replies.