Next Stihl up from the MS 280?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NextEndeavor

Burning Hunk
Jan 16, 2011
Southern Iowa
Been real pleased with this machine now in its fifth year of perfect service cutting many cords of wood with an 18 inch bar. Would like something larger for the bigger trees that have been offered to me. Is the 362 much of a step up?

I'd say it was a step up from the 280 . As to how much more , I don't know . But the 362 is well regarded as a reliable and well built saw.

love my ms362. wish i had earlier.

How big you talking here? 24", 36", 48"+? If the wood is too big for that MS280 (Which IME runs a 20" bar comfortably) then I'd take a serious look at the 70cc class. MS440, MS441, MS460 and/or Husky 372XP/576XP.

Going from a 280 to a 362 would be quite the step. If your looking for more speed, it will be there. But will only handle a 24" B & C comfortably. Unless your cutting Softwoods in the Pacific Northwest ;) Then a 32" with Skip. :)

A 460 is a Big step up. It really depends on How Big the Wood is, you plan on getting into? A 24" set-up on the 362 will be almost a 50" tree. Thats pretty damn big.

Is there a budget # your looking at? $650, $800, $1,000, etc.

Reactions: amateur cutter
I went from a 290 to a 441 with a 20" bar. I have been very happy with the upgrade and am absolutely spoiled with the bigger saw. I think you would be very happy with any larger saw. They are just plain awesome. The 441 is plenty of saw for me, for performance and for safety.

Reactions: Nixon
It all depends upon what you are going to cut as to what size saw you need. Want is a different story.

Want is a different story.

You forgot to add the Caveat .... There are times that WANTmasquerades as NEED . It leads to a life of misery and multiple saw . It is commonly known as CAD ! ;)

Thanks for the replies. I won't need anything longer than a 24 inch. Now the want is another discussion. I've seen it here that you can't have too much wood or too many saws.

Reactions: DexterDay
Thanks for the replies. I won't need anything longer than a 24 inch. Now the want is another discussion. I've seen it here that you can't have too much wood or too many saws.

I resemble that remark, & I'm getting worse.;lol That being said, if I could only have one saw, it would be the 460.A great 2 saw firewood combo as was stated is 50cc & 70cc + or - a few. My 2 saw combo would be 260 & 460. You're about in the same league with the 280/460 combo. Bottom line, I'd go 460 & never look back. BTW a 460 with a 24" bar is a wicked setup in almost any situation. A C

You forgot to add the Caveat .... There are times that WANTmasquerades as NEED . It leads to a life of misery and multiple saw . It is commonly known as CAD ! ;)

Ha ain't that the truth. " But honey, I only need 1 more saw to round out my collection". A C

I went from a 290 to a 441 with a 20" bar. I have been very happy with the upgrade and am absolutely spoiled with the bigger saw. I think you would be very happy with any larger saw. They are just plain awesome. The 441 is plenty of saw for me, for performance and for safety.

Quite literally like trading a Corvair for a Corvette. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.