Next winter's wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsruther

Minister of Fire
Oct 28, 2008
Northern Kentucky
I finally got started on processing next years wood yesterday. It was nice to get outside and be active for a change. I cut this tree down at the end of last summer and it's been sitting in log length since. If rain wasn't predicted for today, I'd start splitting it. I need to keep at it if I want to reach my goal of two years worth of wood.

Anybody else been taking advantage of the warmer weather?

jua5xg.jpg

Warmer weather? This picture was taken around 10am......... 7am this morning the mercury was all but gone @ 36 below

You folks got it made down there! Nice hardwood and green grass in February.

Attachments

• DSC03763.JPG
    DSC03763.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 585
Inferno said:
Warmer weather? This picture was taken around 10am......... 7am this morning the mercury was all but gone @ 36 below

You folks got it made down there! Nice hardwood and green grass in February.

That's celcius...only 10 below farenheit...looks like a warming trend to us in n.Mn.
now 36 below is cold...add a few more degrees and propane turns non gaseous.

Woodford said:
I finally got started on processing next years wood yesterday. It was nice to get outside and be active for a change. I cut this tree down at the end of last summer and it's been sitting in log length since. If rain wasn't predicted for today, I'd start splitting it. I need to keep at it if I want to reach my goal of two years worth of wood.

Anybody else been taking advantage of the warmer weather?

jua5xg.jpg

Heck you guys got green grass....won't see that up here for another 3 months.

Sounds like your off to a good start. This 2 cord pile was delivered Dec 15th and I finally finished a few weeks ago. In between the snow which seemed to happen every weekend through Jan-Feb, I managed to finish my first 2 cord pile. I just ordered another 2 cord today and looks like I have my March weekends planned for now. Figures, they are calling for rain/snow/sleet starting Sat night >:-( Once spring arrives, I plan to get another 5 cord stacked for burn season 2010/2011.

Attachments

• hh1.jpg
    hh1.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 584
  • HH2.jpg
    HH2.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 590
stejus said:
Sounds like your off to a good start. This 2 cord pile was delivered Dec 15th and I finally finished a few weeks ago. In between the snow which seemed to happen every weekend through Jan-Feb, I managed to finish my first 2 cord pile. I just ordered another 2 cord today and looks like I have my March weekends planned for now. Figures, they are calling for rain/snow/sleet starting Sat night >:-( Once spring arrives, I plan to get another 5 cord stacked for burn season 2010/2011.
Nice work. Keep the kids off that pile, it could be very dangerous at that height.

Wet1 said:
stejus said:
Nice work. Keep the kids off that pile, it could be very dangerous at that height.

My two daughters appreciate the size, height and weight of this mound seeing they helped fetch the wood and hand to me. No chance of them getting on top of this. If I had a son, that would be an opportunity for a challenge! All kidding aside, I can't imagine how badly someone could get hurt if this collapsed onto them.

It was 60 degrees here yesterday so I finished splitting all that I have here at home. Went to get more and just about got my Colorado stuck. Thank god for 4wd!
I'm going to have to wait until it freezes or dries out before I can get anymore. Too bad the weatherman is saying it going to be wet here for the next several days :mad:

Young Buck said:
It was 60 degrees here yesterday so I finished splitting all that I have here at home. Went to get more and just about got my Colorado stuck. Thank god for 4wd!
I'm going to have to wait until it freezes or dries out before I can get anymore. Too bad the weatherman is saying it going to be wet here for the next several days :mad:

Sure sign of Spring when temps jump up and down and the percipitation can be rain/sleet/snow or a combination of all. Freeze/Thaw cycles are active and making quite the mess of exposed surfaces too! It's about time, been a long winter in these parts!

There's no kids here to get hurt on it (except for me and the wife). It's not stacked as high as it appears.
My biggest problem is the mud and the mess it makes when it follows me back down to the house. We need some sunny, windy days to dry the ground up.
A wire brush works great for getting the mud off my boots.
The grass isn't really that green, kind of a brownish color. Out by the septic system it's green, real green.

Wow! A little bit of green grass in Kentucky, 60 degrees in Indiana and we still have snow. But, rain is just starting so we might get rid of some tonight. Just a few miles to our north they are going to get hammered with snow tonight though.

I even cut up some of the maples that are down today. Even hauled up another cord. Not sure if I could. Ground was frozen this morning but it thawed this afternoon. Made a couple of shallow ruts but nothing bad.

Hauled a few loads before I was shut down by the warm weather. Hopefully, we will get a good freeze before the March blizzards so I can get the rest of it across my boss's lawn.

Attachments

• IMAGE_079.jpg
    IMAGE_079.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 463
SolarAndWood said:
Hauled a few loads before I was shut down by the warm weather. Hopefully, we will get a good freeze before the March blizzards so I can get the rest of it across my boss's lawn.
What if your boss finds out?

He know has a 50 mile view now from dropping 50 or so mature maples. I just had to winch them up a 50 foot bank and skid 500 ft across his lawn. Many thanks to my friend with the Farmi 601 and an old JD ag tractor. I will probably spend some time plowing fields in return in a month or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.