Next years free stash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WOODBUTCHER

Minister of Fire
Had a friend down the street.....brought his knowledge, saws and he took down a dead standing ash tree fro me.
He drove his Massy over with a couple of chains and we made a quick work of it. Nothing like free btu's....got close to 2 cords of scrounging this year.

WoodButcher

Attachments

• DSC_9021.jpg
    DSC_9021.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 547
  • DSC_9023.jpg
    DSC_9023.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 540
  • DSC_9013.jpg
    DSC_9013.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 537
Nice, nothing like getting started early on next years supply.

Pretty big ash tree...good move taking it down this time of year too.

Some beautiful hunks of wood you have there. I just can't bring myself to go out in the cold and cut wood. It's gotta be above freezing for me to even think about it.

Woodford said:
Some beautiful hunks of wood you have there. I just can't bring myself to go out in the cold and cut wood. It's gotta be above freezing for me to even think about it.
Yes it was -3, the chain was freezing to my gloves.....I slept really good last night.

WB

WOODBUTCHER said:
Woodford said:
Yes it was -3, the chain was freezing to my gloves.....I slept really good last night.

WB
I was out sunday too think is was 10 degrees my face sheild was frozen over nice score

Beautiful firewood there. We've cut a bunch of those here too. Got much to go too.

Hey, maybe I'll cut a load this afternoon.

I cut Sunday too. I love cutting this time of year, you keep pleanty warm if ya dont stop working. The best thing is no stinkin mud to deal with, everything stays clean.

Woodford said:

Then stay inside cause we are about to get some down here

family man said:
Woodford said:

Then stay inside cause we are about to get some down here

Well have at it then.
Cut me some while you're at it, a'ight?

You getting snow down there tonight?

Always a ham in front of the camera and woodpiles.
A freshly sharpened chain on my 5100s made quick work on the crown.
I'll borrow My bro-laws MS660 to dice up the trunk this weekend.

WB

Attachments

• wb_jr.jpg
    wb_jr.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 364
WOODBUTCHER said:

WB
how long did it take you?

Woodbutcher, that ash will split very easy. Most of it you can do with an axe if you want. One year I split a bunch of it while sitting down! Injury forced that and I didn't want to hire someone to do it, so I sat and used a maul and a couple wedges. It was easy work! Now I have a splitter and wonder how I got along without one!

btw, I did cut some wood this afternoon. Sort of chilly out there but wasn't windy so not all that bad.

'got up to 2 degrees today.......it's going to get cold tomorrow. I think I'll wait until we have a thaw and then it freezes up again. Late March and early April is good around here. After a thaw and re-freeze there's less snow to deal with and no mud.

We thought we thaw a thaw but think the thaw went through, without thoroughly thawing anything in need of thermal therapy. So we thrash through the thick, thoughtless Arctic thrust and thread through and thrive in, it’s thrill and hope that we thee a thaw thoon. So we thrash through the thick thoughtless Arctic thrust, and thread through and thrive in its thrill. And hope that we thee a thaw thoon.

Backwoods Savage said:
Woodbutcher, that ash will split very easy. Most of it you can do with an axe if you want. One year I split a bunch of it while sitting down! Injury forced that and I didn't want to hire someone to do it, so I sat and used a maul and a couple wedges. It was easy work! Now I have a splitter and wonder how I got along without one!

btw, I did cut some wood this afternoon. Sort of chilly out there but wasn't windy so not all that bad.

Ha Ha... sitting down....now that be a sight to see riding by someone's house.
Yeah ash is "usually" one hit wonders. I had some knotty trunk pieces one year and man tough stuff "some times".....striaght stuff just pops open like you said with no effort at all.
The small stuff I quarter with the splitter......in about hour I have all the kindling I need for the winter.

WB

smokinj said:
WOODBUTCHER said:

WB
how long did it take you?
I was a maniac..had it bucked and stacked in just over 2 hours. I leave the smaller branches for later beacause I get real irritated messing with that stuff......SLOWS DOWN MY BANDWIDTH.

WB

Status
Not open for further replies.