NFPA 211 Clearance Reduction Without Ventilated Air Space?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a lot of discussion on the forum in respect to using a 1" ventilated air space to reduce wall clearance between a wood stove and a wall.

In looking at Table 12.6.2.1 of NFPA 211 entitled Reduction of Appliance Clearance with Specified Forms of Protection, one of the approaches is described as "1/2 inch thick noncombustible insulation board over 1 inch glass fiber or mineral wool batts without ventilated air space". Has anyone used this approach, rather than using the ventilated air space?

I'm in the process of removing a zero clearance fireplace extrordinair, and am considering turning the chase into an alcove with a Pacific Energy T6. I'm OK with depth and height, but am about 4" per side too short on width to combustibles, and will need to use wall protection on the sides and rear of the alcove. My wife is not crazy about the 1" gap on the top and bottom when using the ventilated approach (she thinks it will look funny), so I'm wondering if I can use the approach outlined above instead. Stove manufacturer says it is OK to reduce clearances per local authority, local authority goes by the NFPA 211 standard. Therefore, I'm thinking we can use 1" Micore over the drywall, with 1/2" cement board over that, with no gaps for ventilation. Cement board would be covered with either tile, or finished smooth with drywall compound.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated....

Bob

We had the same challenge, but the 1" gap need not be obvious; ours is trimmed it with 3" metal studs for a perimeter, with holes on the top for the air flow which enters along the base of the hearth. We painted the metal black with high-temp paint and it came out looking decent around a tile hearth.

Thanks for the input, moosetrek.

If this was my decision, I'd go with the vent top and bottom. But my wife is calling the shots from an aesthetic viewpoint....and the code seems to suggest that you get 50% reduction with the nov ventilated approach. It just seems like nobody has used that approach....

moosetrek said:
We had the same challenge, but the 1" gap need not be obvious; ours is trimmed it with 3" metal studs for a perimeter, with holes on the top for the air flow which enters along the base of the hearth. We painted the metal black with high-temp paint and it came out looking decent around a tile hearth.

can you post some pictured of this? im interested in seeing this idea in completion

Status
Not open for further replies.