NG Distribution lines

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bjr23

Nov 2, 2009
Eastern WA
We have a gas mainline about one block from our block and I really would like to use gas. When I went to the local gas Co. they more or less laughed me out of their office "ain't never gonna happen" when I inquired about them running lines up our street. We're low income and fixed incomes in our niegborhood LID or RID's are otta the question. How do people get access to gas? I thought there was a big push to rebuild America's energy infrastructure. I read direct use ie, residential use was the most efficient use of gas. I've talk to other people in various locations in our community and they all expressed the desire to use NG, but have no access. What's up with this "use Natural Gas because it's efficient and clean", but there is no distribution lines being run? Is gas only for the wealthy and privileged? bjr23

It will take going out and getting enough neighbors to commit to the use of NG for them to have a business case that justifies putting the line in the street. Not impossible at all if enough sign up and the distance between houses isn't great, but it takes some legwork.

I am in a similar situation, the gas lines are 50 yards from my neighborhood, it will never happen though as they are in NH and I live in ME, even though the water lines for my neighborhood come from the same state.

Status
Not open for further replies.