NG or Electric Dryer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I shy away from most extended warranties except for these front loading washers. Not dryers but washers have very expensive and damage prone bearings and structural items. A dryer, they are relatively trouble free. I used the crap out of my wash machine extended warranty and now that it has expired I have gotten good at fixing them myself.

I had to fix my front loader whirlpool duet washer again yesterday. Stupid sock caught between the drum and the outer shell. Sock gets stuck at the water inlet and water pours out of the front. These front loaders suck.

Dryers are so simple.

I've had a Whirlpool Duet for a number of years and until last year when I had to replace the pump it has been trouble free . . . maybe I got lucky . . . and you were unlucky. ;)

I've had a Whirlpool Duet for a number of years and until last year when I had to replace the pump it has been trouble free . . . maybe I got lucky . . . and you were unlucky. ;)

You think you were lucky because you ONLY had to replace a pump? That pump should have lasted for the life of the machine. I think you were only lucky that your failure didn't result in a water leak that could rot your floor before you notice.

I had bought the extended warranty which we used a few times and when the man came out I was able to quiz him about appliances and he said that the front loaders are highly failure prone, they break down and leak all the time which is good for him. My particular machine, the whirlpool duet, is what he would own since they are easier and more likely to be fixed vs. thrown out. The on board diagnostics is quite impressive. I believe his quote was that the whirlpool is at least as good as any other machine out there and I'm sure he wasn't including the exotics from Europe.

Next machine will likely be an HE top loader. For sure a compromise but at least the bearings and pump intake are designed better, the real problem is that clothing/debris slips between the inner drum and the outer shell and buggers stuff up. Top loaders can't do that.

We had an LG front loader for 9 years problem free, our 25 year old Maytag dryer crapped out last month so I decided to be a good husband and buy my wife her first matching set. I bought her another front loading LG with matching dryer.

On another note: My brother and sister in-law have a top loading HE whirlpool washer and the hate it. They cant wash any of there sheets, blankets, or curtains in it because it ties them up into wadded up knots. It seems from some research that this is a common problem with HE top loaders.

Status
Not open for further replies.