NH craigslist Harman

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boo boo

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2012
So. NH
I like the stove. I like the price. But the home made hopper extension I am not sure about
Don If your on you may want to jump on this one

https://nh.craigslist.org/app/4895935920.html
00f0f_5ae0Qpkdoah_600x450.jpg

It says optional thimble mount to duct the heat....is that a homemade option? I've not seen a Harman with that 'option' before.

I guess the owner just bypassed the switch for the hopper lid, since his homemade wooden extension appears to have no lid?

Homemade is right about the hopper extension. Couple days running with it means the stove was run balls to the wall. Top vent? Ah no I don't think so but been wrong before:)

Is that thimble mount actually a conversion for hooking into an existing woodstove vertical pipe? That is my thought.

That stove or one very similar was the subject of a thread here a couple of years ago. It's definitely modified as the vents are blocked in the front to allow it to vent through the thimble on the top.

There's no way the air flow can be anyway proper and even across the exchangers in the configuration.

Wow about all I say...

What part about using a combustible to construct a hopper extension made sense?

What part about using a combustible to construct a hopper extension made sense?

I have to assume its treated wood so it would not burn easily.

I get grief about putting a hole in the side of the PC45 to install the crosslink.

Reactions: bogieb and rona
Ya right, nitrocellulose lacquer to keep the pellets slipping:eek:

Is this any better? I was always under the impression that treated wood should not be used indoors because the chemicals could migrate into the air.

Is this any better? I was always under the impression that treated wood should not be used indoors because the chemicals could migrate into the air.

No it was meant to be humorous. It does not burn as easily though but does release lots of nastiness.

Reactions: john193
They made a change from copper arsenate many years ago, so don't know if that still holds true. Also know as Paris Green. Makes for some of the most pretty violet and greens in pyrotechnics.

Egad. Must run like crap, Harmans need a good seal on the hopper else the fire burns out the auger feed tube in the weldment.

Pass

Seems to be how well the Harman is put together. I have left the lid open and the stove has been run out of pellets without any issues.

Im sure it can and does. I'm just saying chronic operation like that will compromise the welment. Carbon grinding at the auger thins the tube to paper thin, then there is a hole to the tube. If the hopper door is open anyway it just burns even more irregular and accelerates its demise, but then it can't burn as originally designed till repaired or replaced.

Its like why do some Harman stoves have such a issue with fines in the fines box and others nearly none. I get about a teaspoon per season. Some of the pellets used are not at all clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.