NH pre EPa stove owners - $1000 voucher to upgrade to EPA stove - Limited time only

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
Ya, that does sound odd. I'm not sure I personally would want to retrofit a wood stove with a cat which wasn't designed for it. Seems like more work than it's worth. (and too much liability for me.)

The old Sierra insert has been sitting in the edge of the woods for six years waiting for one of those programs to crank up here. :coolsmirk:

cmonSTART said:
Ya, that does sound odd. I'm not sure I personally would want to retrofit a wood stove with a cat which wasn't designed for it. Seems like more work than it's worth. (and too much liability for me.)

Yeah, there are some things about the article as written that puzzle me, as well. But then, we're reading an article in the Nashua Telegraph...not the actual wording of the New Hampshire program. Newspaper reports are, in my experience, always short on detail and long on errror. Reporters are, after all, reporters...not experts in anything in particular. Rick

I went and read the fact sheet for the program and that is word for word what it says. Also it says that do-it-yourself installation is not an option.

BrotherBart said:
I went and read the fact sheet for the program and that is word for word what it says. Also it says that do-it-yourself installation is not an option.

Interesting. Ever heard of anyone who offers cat conversions on old wood stoves? I haven't. Wonder where the hell that idea came from. :roll:

I think there is one still around. The only ones have always been those things you stick in the flue pipe. You flip it like a damper in the pipe. I seriously doubt that they said what they really meant to say. Cat replacements maybe. HPBA and dealers have a lot of input on these things. It wouldn't surprise me if the $2,000 would be a dealer replacing the cats on a multi-cat stove and the complete refractory package in the thing.

That must really suck for Woodstock, a fine NH company that is selling stoves that are among the very best in the world for less than the cost of retrofitting an old dragon with a cat. And who's certifying these Frankenstein stoves? What are the emission rates when they are done?

Totally warped IMHO.

fossil said:
Interesting. Ever heard of anyone who offers cat conversions on old wood stoves? I haven't. Wonder where the hell that idea came from. :roll:

Well, there is a guy named Mike the Pipe out there somewhere......

Battenkiller said:
fossil said:

There's also Steve the Elm Guy. Not sure if he just fixes old cats or retrofits non-cats, too.
http://www.vermontironstove.com/about.html

Battenkiller said:
fossil said:

Yeah, he's "out there", that's a fact. %-P

My brother in law bought his new stove under a similar program that the City of Keen ran a couple years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.