Nice Ash Score in the Hood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prichan

Burning Hunk
Aug 17, 2013
Maine
Nothing like a nice piece of ash.

Attachments

• 2015-01-02 13.46.54.jpg
    2015-01-02 13.46.54.jpg
    515 KB · Views: 368
  • 2015-01-03 13.30.12.jpg
    2015-01-03 13.30.12.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 321
That's sweet! Looks like some good burning for you next season. Tho ash ( as far as I know doesn't have creosote in it) can be burnt anytime

What kind of Ash, Green?

I'm not real sure what the difference is between the ash species woody. I know it's good stuff

Man, you can split that stuff by just thinking about it! Green ash is lower in BTU's than white and blue ash. The best way to distinguish between white and green is by the buds, leaves and/or seed pods. Green ash is a very good shoulder season wood but not as hot or long burning as white and blue ash. Blue ash has a flakey or scaly bark rather than a deep furrowed bark.

That's sweet! Looks like some good burning for you next season. Tho ash ( as far as I know doesn't have creosote in it) can be burnt anytime

Say what? Uh . . . ash, particularly white ash, starts out with a relatively low moisture content . . . and so it seasons pretty quickly. While old timers may have cut, split and burned ash within just a few weeks or even days of felling the tree, most all modern EPA woodstoves will not like burning such fresh cut ash unless possibly it is standing dead and has been dead for some time.

Creosote can come from any species of tree . . . if the wood from the tree has not had time to season and drive out the moisture. Creosote can also be produced when a person runs their stove too cool, allowing the gases in the smoke to condense in the chimney.

That's good info, I got that info from an old timer

No problems . . . I grew up hearing the same thing.

Old time advice . . . sometimes very good and sometimes very bad (i.e. pine causes creosote, a chimney fire in the chimney once in a while is a good thing, burning up a beer can or potato skins in the stove helps creosote.)

Creosote can also be produced when a person runs their stove too cool, allowing the gases in the smoke to condense in the chimney.
That's good info, I got that info from an old timer
I don't think Jake is that old... ;lol Creosote is produced when wood combustion by-products cool, condense and are deposited in the flue; No wood contains creosote but the ingredients can be made by burning any type of wood.

No problems . . . I grew up hearing the same thing.

Old time advice . . . sometimes very good and sometimes very bad (i.e. pine causes creosote, a chimney fire in the chimney once in a while is a good thing, burning up a beer can or potato skins in the stove helps creosote.)
I heard the same things , tho I am still a newbie at it , I have gained a lot if knowledge from this site thanks

Nice score! I've been getting a lot of ash this season myself. Easy to split, seasons quickly, burns well... what's not to like?

Nice score! I've been getting a lot of ash this season myself. Easy to split, seasons quickly, burns well... what's not to like?
Good score, thanks go to my wife who found it walking the dogs. It was at the bottom of a shared driveway of 2 houses. I gave both owners some, one I split it up and delivered and stacked it, the othern I cut him rounds. Best to be courteous and generous. I am going to swap some of this for real nice cherry and locust and mapes from a friend who wants the ash to sell, truckload for truckload. I think that's fair eh?

Why not just keep the ash? Seems like a lot of hassle for little benefit. Yes the others have more btus but they take 2-3 times longer to season. If it were me I'd stick with the ash.

Very nice! I have a few pieces that are around that size that I need to split, what are the tools of the trade for splitting up such large pieces of wood? I have an automatic splitter (5-ton) but these seem far too large for it. Thanks for any advice.

I use my Fiskars x27 on large rounds of Ash and rare if ever run into problems. The trick is to work around the outside one split at a time.

I've been processing some 18 inch diameter ash lately and your best bet is to work with the fiskars. Make sure its sharp, then try to hit it a couple times in a row. I hit the middle once or twice, then each edge. usually on the last edge the round splits nicely. Then from there I just work pieces off each half. In your case, you could then toss them on the splitter.

I am going to swap some of this for real nice cherry and locust and mapes from a friend who wants the ash to sell, truckload for truckload. I think that's fair eh?
White Ash? Locust is higher BTU, Cherry isn't, the Maple might be equal, if it is hard (Sugar) Maple. I would probably just keep the White Ash, great all-around wood...for sure, I'd have to see what the other guy had first before a trade. Unless the EAB is there and you'll be getting more Ash than you know what to do with.

Reactions: Osagebndr
Very nice! I have a few pieces that are around that size that I need to split, what are the tools of the trade for splitting up such large pieces of wood? I have an automatic splitter (5-ton) but these seem far too large for it. Thanks for any advice.
I use an Ariens 27 ton splitter, with a Subaru motor. I ramp up the heavy pieces onto the truck and splitter, works great. Have a Fiskars 27 and a Fiskars hatchet use those for kindling and smalling up hardwood. One of the best tools I ever got was a Pickaroon from Peavey Mfg., on Rte. 9 in Eddington Maine (http://peaveymfg.com), sometimes just call it a Peavey. Mine is a 30" Katahdin. Perfect for moving logs and rounds as need be. Peavey is a great company, made in USA, and more importantly made in the Great State of Maine :)

I "acquired" a 60" cant hook on a job over the summer. Power company was on the job I was running relocating poles and left it there. I waited until the next day to see if they came back for it, and when they didn't, in the truck it went :). I used it a few times since and it does come in handy, in my "older" age haha

I use a grabs fors bruks maul and work outside in on anything over 24". I also scored 14 rick if ash (mostly white) and can't wait to burn it. Also got hard maple and cherry and black walnut mixed in there also for next year . Keep the ash

Status
Not open for further replies.