Nice coal bed, but a few clogged up slots in the nozzle.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gasifier

Minister of Fire
Apr 25, 2011
St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
I noticed that two of the slots in the back of the Wood Gun kept burning the coals through and I would have to keep pushing the coals back to the rear to cover them back up.

Then I said to myself, Doh!

Because I remembered what I had advised a fellow Wood Gun owner to do. Make sure you rake the coals around and don't let the slots get plugged up. So, for some of the newer guys in here, like me :cheese: :lol: Sometimes the coal bed in your boiler will get nice and thick. And if you get some idleing, the coals down by the slots can cool down and eventually plug a slot or two. Doesn't happen to me much, but every now and then. So I took my long handled cleaning tool and lightly scrap the coals right down to the slots in the front in order to break up any that are all stuck together. The front three slots were partially or completely plugged. This is the third time this has happened to me since I started October first with my boiler. I am thinking about how that must cut down on efficiency and how fast the boiler gets heated up.

Attachments

• homerdoh.jpg
    homerdoh.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 263
I know if I burn willow the slot plugs right up & I can't get any heat out of the boiler. My brother has probably 10 cords of willow & I can't burn any of it. /// If you had 1000 gallons more storage the WG wouldn't go into idle, just a thought, Randy

Yup, another 4-600 gallons would be nice. But, for a few times of raking the coals I don't think I will ever add more storage. I just need to burn a little smarter. I have thought about that a lot. With another 4-600 gallons I could get more efficiency by burning straight out and letting it go out for a while when all storage was up to temp. If I had to do it again I would put 1000 gallons in. Maybe even 3 of these size 400 gallon tanks. But, now that it is done, and the system is working very nicely, I doubt I will ever spend more money and pull the system apart in order to add more storage in. But, who knows, maybe a few years down the road I will change my mind.

I thought two "more" 500 gallon propane tanks for a total of 1400 gallons. That would make a nice system & if they were stacked horizontal that probably wouldn't be too much of a plumbing job. Randy

Singed Eyebrows said:
I thought two "more" 500 gallon propane tanks for a total of 1400 gallons. That would make a nice system & if they were stacked horizontal that probably wouldn't be too much of a plumbing job. Randy

That is a good idea Randy. 1400 gallons would be nice. But I originally went with this 400 gallon tank for two reasons.

First, and most important, is that it fit into my basement through the window in the back! It would not fit through a 36" exterior door. None of them will. I don't know if you remember this thread, https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/81764/ but the tank just barely fit. :lol:

And second, I wanted an ASME rated tank. And I found this one on the web, bought it, and had it delivered.

So, if I do decide to go with another tank or two, I will have to go with one that is this size or smaller. I think I would go with two smaller ones. I had quite a big job cutting a hole in my basement floor, building rebar bed, pouring new floor lower down for more headroom clearance. Then building rebar cage for the four walls and then forming the walls up. I look back on that job and think, what the hell was I thinking. :lol: Gettin done I guess. If I had been more patient I could have found 3 - 220 gallon tanks and had 660 gallons. Oh well!

Hey, when I go with those other tanks in a few years, I will give you a call, set you up with a nice bedroom in my house, I have many of them, and you can come and help put them in! How's that sound! :lol: I will provide food, beer, or whatever you like! Later.

Gasifier said:
. If I had been more patient I could have found 3 - 220 gallon tanks and had 660 gallons. Oh well!

Yeah, I mean who lucks into something like that?

Oh wait. :)

Gasifier said:
Singed Eyebrows said:

That is a good idea Randy. 1400 gallons would be nice. But I originally went with this 400 gallon tank for two reasons.

First, and most important, is that it fit into my basement through the window in the back! It would not fit through a 36" exterior door. None of them will. I don't know if you remember this thread, https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/81764/ but the tank just barely fit. :lol:

And second, I wanted an ASME rated tank. And I found this one on the web, bought it, and had it delivered.

So, if I do decide to go with another tank or two, I will have to go with one that is this size or smaller. I think I would go with two smaller ones. I had quite a big job cutting a hole in my basement floor, building rebar bed, poring new floor lower down for more headroom clearance. Then building rebar cage for the four walls and then forming the walls up. I look back on that job and think, what the hell was I thinking. :lol: Gettin done I guess. If I had been more patient I could have found 3 - 220 gallon tanks and had 660 gallons. Oh well!

Hey, when I go with those other tanks in a few years, I will give you a call, set you up with a nice bedroom in my house, I have many of them, and you can come and help put them in! How's that sound! :lol: I will provide food, beer, or whatever you like! Later.
If you were closer I would take you up on that. I didn't think of the getting the tanks into the basement part,lol. I'm spoiled with the big opening into my basement. Sounds like you are doing all you can there, Randy

Clarkbug said:
Gasifier said:
. If I had been more patient I could have found 3 - 220 gallon tanks and had 660 gallons. Oh well!
Yeah, I mean who lucks into something like that?
Oh wait. :)

:lol: Ya. You were probably the one who made me think of that Clarkbug. You lucky b@$!@!d! :lol: I looked, and looked, and looked for smaller tanks. I could not find any that I could get a good price on. And I got very tired of looking. So I put that to an end and just bought one! But, oh well. I did like the tank I found. It is doing a real nice job. It gets used more than I thought it would during the cold part of the year. There is many times when the boiler temperature is down below 170 where I have my circulation pump set for between the boiler and the tank. That pump is an IFC pump though. So when the boiler temp is down below that and the zones are still calling for heat, the heat is drawn out of the top of the tank while the boiler is warming back up. Works like a charm. Also very nice for DHW heating. All and all, I can not complain about this system. It is working out very well. I consider myself lucky. Very lucky. I have read some of the threads on here and read of some of the problems people have had. Am I ever glad I found this site, learned lots of stuff, and then hired the install done. My guys did a great job.

I know if I burn willow the slot plugs right up & I can't get any heat out of the boiler. My brother has probably 10 cords of willow & I can't burn any of it. /// If you had 1000 gallons more storage the WG wouldn't go into idle, just a thought, Randy
Hi Eyebrows, do you have pictures showing the plugged nozzles? I would be interested to see what the ash looks like. Maybe I am asking this too late.
Thanks
Tre83

Status
Not open for further replies.