Nice compliment from my wife

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

7acres

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2013
South East USA
So we were in our local home improvement big box store when we walked past a couple palettes of firewood. My wife couldn't help noticing the price for one small bundle of mixed hardwood splits. $6! We got to the next palette and she remarked, "$8.96! What's so special about European White Birch?!!" I hefted a bundle and shook my head in confusion, "These splits are only 12". It'd take two or three bundles to load our stove once. I know birch bark is highly flammable. But no idea why people pay that." As she turned away and resumed walking she said, "That's what you buy if you didn't marry a real man." ;em==c

Haha nice! I always shake my head every time I pass one of those pallets

Your go girl!

People aren't buying those bundles for heating their homes. Typically people are just buying a few of those bundles for campfires. Here in MN you're required to use those bundles of "approved" firewood if you're camping on public land. You can't just bring your firewood from home with you.

Reactions: Tom Wallace
I always see those at the gas station and get a puffed up chest because I'm basically a millionaire if that's what wood is really worth.

i couldn't care less about my wife's opinion of me or anything else for that matter.

i couldn't care less about my wife's opinion of me or anything else for that matter.

I, on the other hand, was quite flattered. I didn't want to let it show too much though. Have to keep that rugged facade in tact. ::-)

You might remind her of the other half of the value. Doesn't one cord of wood = 100 gl of fuel oil? So in addition to not paying the purchase price a cord maxed out at $400 worth of oil.

Wait a minute, she might want dinner after hearing about all the money saved...

Reactions: 7acres
Wow,,,,Wrong side of the bed today??

-----------------------

OP: I can't tell ya the last time my wife was even in a local home improvement big box store with me. So THAT's another bonus for ya.;)

Count your blessings on both your wife and your wood stash.:)

Reactions: dadof3 and Seanm

-----------------------

OP: I can't tell ya the last time my wife was even in a local home improvement big box store with me. So THAT's another bonus for ya.;)

He picked her. Somebody's in the wrong bed; that's for sure. Whatever.

We're in week three of burning the stove. Wife loves it! I couldn't be more happy! I think it's cute seeing the splits she picks. When we need coals for next morning she picks the cedar. When we need a fast burning load she's throwing big hickory splits in. She doesn't admit it yet that she needs a little schooling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woody Stover
Sign in a Texas BBQ joint.

"Never question your wife's judgement. Remember, she married YOU."

I always see those at the gas station and get a puffed up chest because I'm basically a millionaire if that's what wood is really worth.
And that might be wet wood, too! I was at a guy's house that my wife works with. He had picked up some gas station Oak. I figured all that stuff was kiln-dried and would burn like a dream. Holy carp, that stuff was wringing wet and was a smoldering, smoky mess in the pit. I took him a trunkload of Spruce I had, that was dead-standing when cut and stacked in rounds for a year. It was still a little damp inside but I'm sure it'll burn passably. I won't be suggesting to anyone that's trying to determine if their wood is the problem, to go get some gas station wood.
"Never question your wife's judgement. Remember, she married YOU."
She knows me a lot better now but it's too late. ;lol

He picked her. Somebody's in the wrong bed; that's for sure. Whatever.

We're in week three of burning the stove. Wife loves it! I couldn't be more happy! I think it's cute seeing the splits she picks. When we need coals for next morning she picks the cedar. When we need a fast burning load she's throwing big hickory splits in. She doesn't admit it yet that she needs a little schooling.

Or she'll get it. Experience is a good teacher. Hell, I learned ;)

Have her join the forums !! It'll be fun :cool:

People aren't buying those bundles for heating their homes. Typically people are just buying a few of those bundles for campfires. Here in MN you're required to use those bundles of "approved" firewood if you're camping on public land. You can't just bring your firewood from home with you.
Really? Smh

From this female's point of view, I agree with Longstreet.

But I have to say, I'd much rather be in a local home improvement store than in a shopping mall (okay, compare to most females, I walk to the beat of a different drummer, but that's okay!)! Having seen what those tiny bundles cost is why I told my Builder to save my felled trees and 2x4/2x6 cut offs! It really confounds me why anyone would haul that away to the dump only to turn around and buy wood to burn.

@7acres You should be proud as a peacock that your wife recognizes how much you do. ("Thank you, Honey" goes a long way!)

-----------------------

Your lucky. My ex< her favorite place was Home Despot.

I, on the other hand, was quite flattered. I didn't want to let it show too much though. Have to keep that rugged facade in tact. ::-)

Well done. You should be flattered!

If she counts on you to keep her warm, you're in good shape. :)

My wife complimented my stacks in the back yard recently. Which surprised me because when we started burning she was upset the yard was junked up with wood. And now she's just as proud of the 10 cords stacked nicely in the side yard as i am. Harmony on any subject is good!

Wife sees pre-packaged wood at HD. Sees the price and replies, "your wood is so much better." ==c

It gets better when she realizes Timmy the HD associate overheard the comment and is caught giving a thumbs up. Priceless moment in unintended wood humor for the campfire pit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.