Nice dry surprise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

baseroom

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2014
Rochester
So I'm out for a run I see something piled on the side of the road I get there and it's old wood decide to go back with the truck when I'm done. Go back and it's 2/3 decent old and dirty but dry and solid ! I look closer and there are the rays on the ends Yep split it up it's all very dry oak!!! IMG_1341.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
BTUtiful!!!!! Any idea what type of oak.

Tough to tell. Its been down quite a while. It is reddish when I split it and the rays on the ends are quite clear. My guess is red.

I got around to sawing away on the larger limbs on some HUGE Red Oak yesterday on very back of the property that have been down for years maybe even a decade. Mind you this stuff is off the ground. Interior BONE dry with about 1" of powdery dry rot on outside. Who would've thunk it! TONS more gotta get to at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.