Nice Little Kindling Axe.... Cheap!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Battenkiller

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2009
Just Outside the Blue Line
I put an order in with Labonville in New Hampshire for some chaps and a new bar and chains for my saw. While I was perusing their online catalog, I saw this cute little Hudson Bay style camp axe for $29. Made by Council Tool, a company known for its fire axes, pulaskis and other quality hand tools. There was a 20% off sale going on, so I thought I'd give it a go. $24, no tax (NH) and a little extra shipping... why not?

It arrived yesterday, and I was immediately impressed with this American-made axe. Well-forged 1 3/4# head, with a nicely shaped 18" handle of choice hickory, it has a nice heft and great balance in the hand. These are one-handed tools, so it is critical that they get the feel right for this purpose. This one just feels secure in my hand, and very comfortable to swing.

First thing I did was to bring it down to the shop and hit the rough ground factory edge with a file. The file bit in just the right amount, not too hard (like the Gransfors axes) and not too soft (like a cheap box store axe). I had my doubts if I could get it shaving sharp, but as you can see in the photos, it was real easy. Re-cut the edge with a fresh file, then hone it with a water stone and finish up with a power strop to kill the wire edge. Presto! Nice camp axe.

The handle was just a bit rough and was completely unfinished, which was perfectly fine for me since I just had to hit it with a little 120 grit and slather it with a mix of turpentine and Tru-Oil. Ordinarily, I have to hit a new axe handle with a ROS to get the damn lacquer off it... the worst possible finish for a tool that you don't ever want flying out of your sweaty hand.

The closeup of the axe and my arm shows the hair it was able to cleanly slice off. There are a few minor spots on the edge that aren't quite razor sharp, but it's an axe for God's sake. A few cuts and it will settle in, but will be easy to field dress to the same edge.

I also got a nice little half-sheath for $6. It fits the axe head perfectly, but I was really hoping for something a little closer to those fancy back sling thingies that the rich folks use on their painted axes. BTW... what color should I have it painted? ;-P

Attachments

• Council-Axe.jpg
    Council-Axe.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 809
  • Council-Axe-Test.jpg
    Council-Axe-Test.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 846
  • Axe-In-Sheath.jpg
    Axe-In-Sheath.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 783
  • Hair-On-Arm.jpg
    Hair-On-Arm.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 782
Looks like a nice one!

EatenByLimestone said:
Interesting shape. It reminds me of the old trading axes.

Yeah, it's right there in the name - "Hudson Bay" axe. They're sort of evolved from the trade axes. The flared edge below the main body allows you to grasp the handle right at the head and apply force directly behind the edge for fine, controlled cutting like carving or skinning game. The squared off extended poll in the back allows you to hammer things without distorting the shape of the eye. They are considered a "do-all" type of tool. Chopping, slicing, splitting, hammering. Not exceptional at any of these, but perfectly adequate for just about everything but falling trees.

I was taught how to split kindling upside down by my friend Jeff Wilber, a licensed Maine guide. You drive the axe into the wood with a well placed blow, then pick the whole mess up and turn it upside down. Then you drop it on the back of the axe head onto your splitting block. The inertia of the heavy wood causes the chunk to drive onto the axe bit, essentially splitting itself. It's a bit cumbersome at first, but once you get the hang of it, you'll never go back to trying to split with a mighty chop. It's almost effortless, and the blocks just pop apart. And... it's just the ticket for splitting kindling for upside-down fire starting. %-P

I found this a few weeks ago and want to try this way of splitting kindling. He starts splitting around 2:30. I need to rehandle a small Bell Systems hatchet head that came with the broad axes I picked up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tUUctg6dfk

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
I found this a few weeks ago and want to try this way of splitting kindling. He starts splitting around 2:30. I need to rehandle a small Bell Systems hatchet head that came with the broad axes I picked up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tUUctg6dfk

Matt

That's a cool way to split the real small stuff. The second method he uses is a lot harder to get the hang of. A friend of mine used to live in Michigan and used to work as a pulp wood logger as a kid. He showed me that method, and he could really make those splits explode. It's tough on the wrists, though.

Bell Systems hatchet, eh? Had to Google that one. Has the square hole in it for linesmen to use as a wrench? Never seen one in real life, it appears they're relatively rare. Nice find.

Yeah, it's the one with the nut hole in it. The head weighs about 2 lbs and has a heavy poll on it so it could be used as a small sledge. I'll set it on a boys axe handle. The eye is that size anyway.

A friend that used to work on the lineman's trucks said they used the hatches to notch the poles for the crossarms and then drive the bolts through the pole and arm.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.