Nice little score, what kind of maple is it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pulldownclaw

Feeling the Heat
Mar 2, 2007
Richmond, Va
I left the house the other day and heard that beautiful sound of early Spring. No, not the red tailed hawks calling out or the woodpeckers banging on the gutters, but the buzz of a chainsaw in the distance. I drove around the block and saw some tree guys taking down a tree in someone's backyard and asked him if I could have it, he said sure, it'd save him a trip to the dump. They chipped up most of the branches, but dropped off everything else, almost all perfect stove length. Is it red maple?

A good day indeed! :cheese:

Attachments

• maple pile.JPG
    maple pile.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 467
  • maple round.JPG
    maple round.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 453
  • maple split.JPG
    maple split.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 455
Stumped y'all, huh? Must be some kinda crazy Southern Tobacco Maple or somethin'. Maybe I'll try and smoke some... %-P

Grain looks like some sort of Cottonwood or Poplar.

Thanks guys. The tree guy said it was maple, and it sure looks like the red maple I've got in my yard. It splits real nice too, comes off in planks. I've pretty much only been splitting pine and oak, funny how each species has it's peculiarities on how they split. I'm assuming if I get it split this Spring it will be ready by this time next season?

Soft maple (red maple). Yes, it does split really easy. Burns hot. Makes excellent kindling too. I always make a bunch of kindling from it every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.