Nice little scrounge for me

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

warno

Minister of Fire
Jan 3, 2015
illinois
I finally got the go ahead from the shut down concrete plant in my local town to let me pick up the pile of oak chucks they used for form setting. These pieces are about 10" X 10" X 20". Did I mention oak. It's been sitting out in their lot for about 6 years now.

The pile is about 20 feet long about 10 feet wide and about 5 feet deep at the middle. Then it's kind of spread out from there.

20151220_072646_zpsgnq7revx.jpg

This is my size 14 boot.

20151220_072656_zpse4hlne9p.jpg

Good pick up there. I wood take it all for just the oak chunks and to help with the clean up. You never know they might call you again for the next wood pile.

Reactions: warno
That's the plan. This place had been shut down for the past 7 years. I have been working to getting my hands in this pile of wood for about a year now.

Real nice score.

Glad to see somebody burning that instead of letting it rot.

Nice! I would save a few of those for cribbing next time you need to jack up a truck, tractor, etc...

Reactions: D9H
That's a great score! Get it all as fast as you can, don't want that window to close.

I'm dragging my trailer in there today after work to load up. I thought about stacking them nicely in the trailer but then I realized I could get into a over loaded situation pretty quick with these heavy pieces. I guess I'll be making 2 or more trips.

I went in and got a load out today. Turns out a little more then what I thought is crap. I few pieces I picked up just crumbled in my hands. But there were more then a few I had to grunt to pick up. I guess i will just pick through the pile for the good ones and either take the rest to burn in the fire pit or leave them there. Maybe ask if they want me to just burn them out there to get rid of it.

All in all, pretty happy with the scrounge.

Reactions: Soundchasm
I got curious what the inside looked like on these pieces after my dad split one. He said he split one block into 5 pieces and burnt one piece in his barrel stove in the garage and it burnt for 3 hours. So I got curious and split one open with my Fiskars. The axe drove right through it with little resistance. Hopefully these pieces aren't too far gone to worth it. Here's the inside.

20151223_162037_zpsspdyfuga.jpg

20151223_162051_zps72btq3t8.jpg

20151223_162102_zpsb9ixbn01.jpg

That's unfortunate looks like junk......

Status
Not open for further replies.