Nice load today(honey locust)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
Well I'm pretty sure it's honey locust anyway, either way it was "free". ;)

My buddy had this tree in his front yard that he wanted gone and was quoted a grand to get this one and a pine out of there so I told him I'd knock this one down for him. I was expecting a small tree that would waste my time but this one was worth the trip. We tossed a rope around it to make everyone involved feel warm and fuzzy but in reality it wouldn't have done anything if things had gone wrong with my buddy tugging on it. I told him to tie it around his waist but he didn't think it was funny. ;) It dropped a few branches into the street which we quickly cleaned up and other than that it went smoothly. Working on a small sub division lot sure created some nerves! The trunk was pretty much 20 inches until it branched out so I should get some nice splits out of it.

Here are some pictures of the load. I'll try to get a picture of the stump for Jay once I get the trailer unloaded. :)

Attachments

• 0415121508.jpg
    0415121508.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 183
  • 0415121508a.jpg
    0415121508a.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 164
  • 0415121540.jpg
    0415121540.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 167
  • 0415121540a.jpg
    0415121540a.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 166
  • 0415121838.jpg
    0415121838.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 172
  • 0415121838a.jpg
    0415121838a.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 169
  • 0415121838b.jpg
    0415121838b.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 179
Nice job!
It's great when a plan comes together.
You knocked over a few rocks off the shrub tree border, LOL, Very nice job!
Some serious BTUs there :)

Nice job!
It's great when a plan comes together.
You knocked over a few rocks off the shrub tree border, LOL, Very nice job!
Some serious BTUs there :)

I put the rocks back up when I finished up. :) He was happy I didn't take out the bush or the little pine, he figured one of them would get flattened. The bush lost a few branches on the backside so I had room but I didn't take anymore than I needed.

Free is the best kind of firewood, dosen't look like honey locust but don't know what you have.

You lucky dog! That's definitely honey locust, and that is one of the best woods out there. Did you run into any thorn clusters on the tree? I have four big ones to cut later this summer, and still have a pile of it in my stacks. You get that stuff split and stacked and chances are it'll be ready this winter.

I loves me some honey locust, nice score with some fun splitting on the way.

Looking good......Maybe a thickier bull line but you got it.

HOney Locust is great firewood, and definitely what you have. It looks like you got the variety with no thorns, which makes it even better.

No thorns, I figure thornless honey locust since it was a sub division tree. I've planted some thornless saplings at my house but they're only a couple feet tall.

Looking good......Maybe a thickier bull line but you got it.

That line is pretty much good for nothing, if I remember right it was only rated for 500lbs when I bought it. It made me feel better though since his house was close, the neighbors cars were close and an electrical box was just to the right. :)

Reactions: smokinj
Sounds like it all came out good rdust. Happy burning.

Sounds like it all came out good rdust. Happy burning.

I figure I may need it in a few years,(thanks to someones wise advice years ago ;)) I still have a some hickory, black locust and white oak that will get torched before this honey locust. The new stove heats so well I didn't really need the "good" stuff this season except for burning some just to say I did.

Another load or two and I think I'll be caught back up to 3 years like I was before tearing up my back. I may be close now but who knows since I have a bunch of heaped up and unsplit wood right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.