Nice oak score!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cableman

Minister of Fire
Sep 26, 2013
long island
image.jpg Local guy on cl and i ended up going to the same hs as him! Didnt know him though lol. The piles are huge, im gonna take as much as i can and get my wood supply ahead a few years!
This is 2 trk loads from the front of his house and i just got another sat but thats not in the pic. Its gonna take a while!
image.jpg

Yep, it's official - You suck ! :) Nice Christmas present.

Reactions: PapaDave
Merry Christmas- nice score for sure. get it split asap.

Lol yup! That snow is gone now, gotta go back this weekend and grab more!

Yes that's nice and frosty

Grab it all. It may take 2+ years to season, but it will be awesome HEAT! Great score.

Reactions: PapaDave
awesome:cool:

The 2 big trees in the pic are both cut 20' up too! Not sure what hes doing with them! I hope the weather holds out so i can grab as much as i can and get to some splitting.

Great find, including someone who went to the same school as you did. It is a small world.

Is this some white oak?
image.jpg

Kinda looks like cherry from that pic...really smooth bark...splits very easily.....also do yourself a favor if u dont have an x27 get one..I just spilt about a half cord of green white oak and some old red oak rounds this morning..it was a breeze....

Reactions: Paulywalnut
The big split on the right kinda looks like it might be Oak but I don't know about the bulk of what's shown in the pic....

Its from the big load im getting which i thought was all oak! In the pick above what i posted today its the smalls on the left. Split it today and just noticed it wasn't red and smells more like maple! But its kinda hard like oak :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Here is some freshly spilt cherry..the two on top one to see inside one foe out..lol

Attachments

• 20140111_161702.jpg
    20140111_161702.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 108
Hmm i guess it could be. If its cherry or white oak or what ever hard wood it still needs more then a year to dry?

I tried zooming and couldnt see the split grain well enough to rule on anything. But the bark in your pics are wet and give the appearance of the shine we associate with cherry.
But not Black Cherry, the common timber cherry. Which is lighter weight/btus.
Domestic cherry, sweet, cultivated is much harder.
So both oak and cultivated cherry is more than one year.
Plum here (being a stone fruit) takes 3+ years to season.
Great firewood though.

I split everything from this branch pile so a lot are thin, it will prolly season in a year! The rest of the stuff that i still have to grab and what I've grabbed is def red oak! Lot of splitting left :eek:

2 more truck loads :cool: Had to bring the splitter, no way i was lifting some of these!
image.jpg

Reactions: jaychino415
Took a break then stacked it on the side, ill start splitting a hour after work everyday if i can! I took 4 piles.There is 3 big piles of logs i cant lift left! Im not sure i can fit all this on my 75x120 property :eek:

The piles growing!
image.jpg

Just think of all the lawn you won't be cutting this Summer and the gas not used on the mower .....

Raise the house up on stilts high enough for an ocean view, that should get ya alot more room for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.