Night Stacking Cut Short...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow when they get going it sends chills up your spine. We have been waken out of a dead sleep to the howling

haven't heard one in Rockland county yet....and thats ok you guys can have them all. ps saw one on 95 going into connecticut the other night on the way back from the ranger game.

Last night it was the owls hooting that woke us up. They were busy talking about something. Rural life is great. Be safe.
Ed

They're pretty big. Then, you have a pack of them, on the move, howling. They're probably after something like deer, but, it made me nervous.

We hear them frequently around here. A great dog that we had when first moved to this place would howl back at them, wish I would have got that on video! Hoping the weather dries out for this weekend as I have a lot of branches to burn in the outdoor pit and hoping the critters & clear sky put on a show for us.

Where they at

Attachments

• img002.jpg
    img002.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 787
we got em here to.....plenty of them..the other night i was out in the backyard dumping ashes out of the stove and a ambulance went by with sirens going..this sent the coyotes in a frenzy they howled and yipped for 20 minutes straight

steeltowninwv said:
we got em here to.....plenty of them..the other night i was out in the backyard dumping ashes out of the stove and a ambulance went by with sirens going..this sent the coyotes in a frenzy they howled and yipped for 20 minutes straight

Yes I know we have them, that picture was of my Mother and Dad in Texas in 1949

Constrictor said:
why cut short? they arent wolves or anything.

My exact thoughts they are scavengers, unless you are moving so slow you appear to be dead or you are a helpless newborn, you are safe, they are not aggressive.

velvetfoot said:
They don't chase and bring down deer?

You have to stop wearing your deer costume! We saw and heard them all the time in Colorado. If they caught sight of us, they took off.

velvetfoot said:
They don't chase and bring down deer?

No, In the late 40s and early 50s there was a bounty on them, as in the picture, they would remove there ears for proof, of kill and someone would come by and pay for them. It was thought by some Ranchers that they (coyotes) were killing baby calves, but later was decided that the calves they feed on were allready dead. So the bounty was discontinued. I did not read this anywhere this was told to me by my Father ( 2nd from left) Wish I would have asked him how much they paid.

Yote's will eat fawns, ducks, geese, etc etc. Therefor the only good yote is a dead yote. I spotted one in the neighbor's yard last week, BIG yote, and told my wife if I saw it again I was killing it. This began a mildly heated discussion on how I can't kill them around home but can out where I deer hunt. I told her that the local cat population would be gone soon.....she tried to act like she didn't care. They are varmints and need controlling.

f v

Sounds like you folks in Nova Scotia may have a rabies problem, if you look it up there are even rare cases of deer attacking humans. I would trust a pack of coyotes a lot more than I would trust a gang at night in one of our larger Cities.

cptoneleg said:
Sounds like you folks in Nova Scotia may have a rabies problem, if you look it up there are even rare cases of deer attacking humans. I would trust a pack of coyotes a lot more than I would trust a gang at night in one of our larger Cities.

No rabies cases found that I know of - if so that would have made the news headlines even bigger.

City gangs doesn't make packs of coyotes any less trustworthy, that's kind of silly - unless your city gangs came here and got rid of the coyotes for us.

To be thruthful, I never paid them much heed either until that fatality. I live in the middle of nowhere here, and we hear and see them a lot. I tried to find a pic of the one I plunked with a .22 in the backyard in broad daylight here a few years back - only 50ft from our back door and 20ft from the kids playset - but couldn't. Must be on film somewhere, before I got digital.

Some dogs end up killing &/or maiming humans - a pack of wild animals deserves respect.

cptoneleg said:
Constrictor said:
why cut short? they arent wolves or anything.

My exact thoughts they are scavengers, unless you are moving so slow you appear to be dead or you are a helpless newborn, you are safe, they are not aggressive.

They're getting hungry. The deer pop is down and there has been an explosion of yotes in the last few years. I've had people at work tell me they've encountered single coyotes who've taken a few minutes to back down and take off. Even in the suburbs of the city (new development), there are big problems with yotes... cats and dogs are being carted off by the darn things. I always carry some form of firearm when I'm in the bush, though the only yote I've ever encountered in the bush was a few years ago. Woke up from a nap while turkey hunting and a good sized female was trotting by 20 yards away. Have seen a pack of them when deer hunting too... put an end to that hunt. I hear them all the time at night. It's a pretty neat, albeit eerie sound.

You folks need to get to killing them, sounds like they are really getting aggressive. Good Luck

That would be a good job for the gangs. :lol:

Kill them all is my philosophy . . . Wile E. Coyote they are not . . . they're much more efficient than our cartoon character in getting a meal of deer, cat or what have you.

Status
Not open for further replies.