Night Stacking Cut Short...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My place is 35 miles from mid town Manhattan, NYC and we hear them often. It is kinda creepy. I saw one roadside late at night a few years ago. I stopped and hit him with a flashlight beam. We had a little staring contest for a minute or so, then he/she sauntered off into the woods. Even the suburbs are full of wild life.

Flatbedford said:
My place is 35 miles from mid town Manhattan, NYC and we hear them often. It is kinda creepy. I saw one roadside late at night a few years ago. I stopped and hit him with a flashlight beam. We had a little staring contest for a minute or so, then he/she sauntered off into the woods. Even the suburbs are full of wild life.
I've heard being so close to Indian Point Nuclear Power Plant, that wildlife has 3 eyes, 6 legs, and some sort of growth on it's back (lol)

This past January I was able to get a picture of a decent looking Coyote in my backyard. I can hear them howling at night from time to time.

Attachments

• Coyote.jpg
    Coyote.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 245
Beer Belly said:
Flatbedford said:
I've heard being so close to Indian Point Nuclear Power Plant, that wildlife has 3 eyes, 6 legs, and some sort of growth on it's back (lol)

I haven't seen any of them yet... I am comforted knowing that being less than 3 miles away form the plant if something bad happens and I am home, it probably won't hurt much.

Given the right set of circumstances just about any animal will attack a human, in fact I got a nasty bite from my pet hamster once.

In the last couple places I have lived we could hear the coyotes yipping, sometimes right in the yard, I never worry much about them. I have more concern about the local domestic dogs that run loose then those coyotes.
Bears on the other hand are another matter. Coyotes you rarely run into because they usually sense a human presence and take off long before you are able to detect them, but bears aren’t so cautious. Many times we use to find them right on our deck, and one use to regularly raid our compost bin. For a while, about every second night or so he would come down and look for new goodies. We had one of those plastic compost bins with a lid and no bottom, and he would just flip it over and dump it and rummage though contents and pick out what he wanted, and we would obligingly set it back up and throw some more vegetable waste (yummies) in there for him. Not really for him, but I think he thought so. This guy actually showed some capacity for reasoning, although he didn’t quite have all the facts. You see one day I went out and found he had drug the empty bin, with no top or bottom and obviously no food inside, all the way up the hill. I think he figured it was some sort of magic bin, and he got very use to there being new food in there for him every time he came down to check it out, so he rationalized that he was wasting his time coming all the way down the hill to get the food. Why not just keep the magic bin closer to home? Then he wouldn’t have so far to get the food. Kind of smart I thought. He just didn’t quite have all the facts on how the food got in there, that’s all.

I never got any picture of that guy, but I did get some of this one. Bear outside

Flatbedford said:
Beer Belly said:
Flatbedford said:

I haven't seen any of them yet... I am comforted knowing that being less than 3 miles away form the plant if something bad happens and I am home, it probably won't hurt much.
We had townhouse in Peekskill, and the thought was the same...might just catch the "flash", and then it's over

We are starting to get a coyote problem here also ... Many of our surroundi towns report hearing/seeing them...
A lady just lost a horse from coyote bites ... They are going to be a problem... For all of us sooner or later... What's their natural predator? They will continue to multiply .. as we move into "homes" they will continue to migrate towards cities..
They will be a problem especially as they continue to "evolve" (cross-breed)... Friend of mine shot a deer and was tracking it... Got to an area and discovered his deer had a pack on it and had already had half of it gone! . Scared **** outta him , he was glad they found deer and not him.. he was using bow m arrows not bullets

iceman said:
We are starting to get a coyote problem here also ... Many of our surroundi towns report hearing/seeing them...
A lady just lost a horse from coyote bites ... They are going to be a problem... For all of us sooner or later... What's their natural predator? They will continue to multiply .. as we move into "homes" they will continue to migrate towards cities..
They will be a problem especially as they continue to "evolve" (cross-breed)... Friend of mine shot a deer and was tracking it... Got to an area and discovered his deer had a pack on it and had already had half of it gone! . Scared **** outta him , he was glad they found deer and not him.. he was using bow m arrows not bullets

Bu|| shi+ alert!! A healthy horse/donkey will kick the crap outta a coyote.

Seriously? Stop working because coyotes are howling? You are so many times more likely to kill yourself with the maul than get attacked by a coyote. Even if it were to happen by some fluke I'd put all my money on the man with the deadly weapon in his hands over the little dog. Deer kill more people in this country than any other animal. Dogs kill plenty of people. Coyotes I'd guess are right up there with slipping on banana peals on the deadliness scale.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
iceman said:

I went back to ref.. the article and I guess you may be right, they aren't sure if it was wolves,coyotes, or coy dogs..
Reading around in the board they are having problems with coyotes this way...
Here is an interesting read which ref all 3 in this are while not a police report, it should give you some idea of what's happening over here...

http://discus.equinesite.net/discus/messages/1/50898.html?1320772401

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
iceman said:

Easy to say when the situation is in someone elses back yard but accurate when there is only one coyote. A pack is different. Even ferral dogs have been known to kill livestock and people. In California they have had to have animal control dispatch some coyotes for trying to drag small children off. It was in a nationally published magazine a couple of years ago. California is in the west which is well away from the so called crossbreed line. But what do I know. A buddy lost a beagle (rabbit dog) in broad day light while hunting rabbits to coyotes. Denile is not just a river in Egypt.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
iceman said:

Whats their natural predator------ anything allready Dead, same as buzzards

Cave2k said:
ISeeDeadBTUs said:
iceman said:

Easy to say when the situation is in someone elses back yard but accurate when there is only one coyote. A pack is different. Even ferral dogs have been known to kill livestock and people. In California they have had to have animal control dispatch some coyotes for trying to drag small children off. It was in a nationally published magazine a couple of years ago. California is in the west which is well away from the so called crossbreed line. But what do I know. A buddy lost a beagle (rabbit dog) in broad day light while hunting rabbits to coyotes. Denile is not just a river in Egypt.

Had a friends beagle get bit by a coyote while rabbit hunting here.
Here they are scavengers, predator & prey, wolves will eat them. They scavenge on wolf kills in the winter, dead salmon in the fall, prey on rabbits, ptarmigan, grouse, squirrel, mice, shrews etc.
I've never worried about them as far as bothering people, difficult to trap do to their wariness & intelligence. Trapped & snared several, Bop them on the nose just behind the black part, they're out.
Smaller sized here than the PA ones. Have been told they take fawns back east, makes sense, small game when born.
Like any animal, a starving or sick one is unpredictable. If their howling/yipping bothers you, make a wolf howl, that usually shuts them up, works here anyway.

The first dog in my life that was all mine (as opposed to a family dog) I got in ~1968 for free. Turns out she was 1/2 some sort of terrier (fence jumper), 1/4 Basenji, and 1/4 coyote. Smartest, most loyal, protective dog I ever had. She lived to be about 16. Rick

BTW: Since this thread really has nothing to do with wood, but is all about coyotes, I'm moving the whole dang thing out of the Wood Shed and into The Inglenook.

cptoneleg said:
Wish I would have asked him how much they paid.

It was fifty cents an ear in the late fifties and early sixties. Which would buy a lot of Pearl beer.

Coyotes may have been here first but if me and Sturm Ruger have anything to say about it on this place my woodpile cat will be here last.

The scariest noise in the woods is a damned fox's scream. Good grief!

fossil said:
BTW: Since this thread really has nothing to do with wood, but is all about coyotes, I'm moving the whole dang thing out of the Wood Shed and into The Inglenook.

Inglenook.

in·gle·nook (i-nggl-nk) (nggl-nk)
n.
1. A nook or corner beside an open fireplace.
2. A bench, especially either of two facing benches, placed in a nook or corner beside a fireplace.
Origin Late 18th century ; Scotts [ingle + nook.]

:)

BrotherBart said:
Coyotes may have been here first but if me and Sturm Ruger have anything to say about it on this place my woodpile cat will be here last.

You've never heard Sasquacth :) (In the dark) :bug:

bogydave said:
BrotherBart said:

You've never heard Sasquacth :) (In the dark) :bug:

Or a cougar 'huff' as it follows you in the night. Never knew my neck hair could stand-up like that. :gulp:

Status
Not open for further replies.