Nine year old white oak is the chit.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
I've been burning white oak now for 2 weeks cut,split and dried for 9 years in 2 weeks of burning the stuff hasn't even created over 3 inches of ash in the stove burns down to a fine powder ash,here is a typical load. Fox and Coyote 002.jpg

The longer it sits in a dry location, the better she burns IMO. Its amazing how seasoned oak burns down to absolute powder.....one of my favorite attributes of it!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Come on now! We all know that wood seasoned too long burns too fast and don't make no heat! Who ya think you cranking here feller!?;lol
Makes me want a time machine so I can jump ahead 10 years and burn that load of white oak I just cut. Gives me the quivers just thinking about it!:p
By the way, how did you wait 9 years for that to season? You that far ahead? I'd a wet my shorts waining that long.

Come on now! We all know that wood seasoned too long burns too fast and don't make no heat! Who ya think you cranking here feller!?;lol
Makes me want a time machine so I can jump ahead 10 years and burn that load of white oak I just cut. Gives me the quivers just thinking about it!:p
By the way, how did you wait 9 years for that to season? You that far ahead? I'd a wet my shorts waining that long.
That stuff was in the back of my woodshed when I first started burning in 2004 it took all this time to finally get to it since the 10X12 woodhed was filled top to bottom,I finally got to it. I did burn quite a bit from stuff stacked outside in those years that's why it took so long to get to it.By this seasons end the shed will be empty and then I'll start filling it up with stuff thats 3to 5 years seasoned outside.

Reactions: ScotO
That stuff was in the back of my woodshed when I first started burning in 2004 it took all this time to finally get to it since the 10X12 woodhed was filled top to bottom,I finally got to it. I did burn quite a bit from stuff stacked outside in those years that's why it took so long to get to it.By this seasons end the shed will be empty and then I'll start filling it up with stuff thats 3to 5 years seasoned outside.
That's awesome......you'll NEVER have trouble burning wood when you have that much seasoning behind it. Awesome, my friend!

Reactions: Thistle
Probably good that it was left that long in the woodshed. Drying is much slower in the shed that it would be outdoors. I'll bet it burns really great too.

I'm sort of anxious to get some of our white oak split that we got this winter. It laid in the woods for at least 10 years. Seems pretty solid and wet yet. Probably will get around to splitting in about a month.

Reactions: Thistle and ScotO
OLA, hope you don't run out of the fine stuff anytime soon and go back to burning that stuff you use to and sitting on the couch shivering

You should probably soak that in some water so it doesn't burn up so fast.

It'll be a while before I have any nine-year White....about eight years. ;lol

OLA, hope you don't run out of the fine stuff anytime soon and go back to burning that stuff you use to and sitting on the couch shivering
I may run out in 7 years if we have 7 very severe winters but my problem is I replenish every year what I burn and then some.Look later for my latest score of a massive white oak that came tumbling down about 500 yards from my estate,I'll be tackling it soon.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.