No ash in the tray well very little

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

control1

Aug 24, 2008
bucks co pa
I am burning with a mt vernon quad .Every day or 2 I clean my stove and remove about a cup and a half of ash from the floor of the stove.There are 2 small sliding traps on the floor of the stove if you slide them open you can see the ashtray below should these be in the open position position maybe that way I will not have to clean the stove as much not sure,I have always burnt with traps closed

yardleypa said:
.....There are 2 small sliding traps on the floor of the stove if you slide them open you can see the ashtray below should these be in the open position position maybe that way I will not have to clean the stove as much not sure,I have always burnt with traps closed

I have an Avalon Astoria, and I have the 2 small (2' x 2") traps that open when you pull the slider out during cleaning, but the manual specifically says they are to be closed during burning.

Yes, absolutely closed during burning and only opened to sweep ash into the ash tray underneath, which only means less ash to vacuum up. Being closed, these two "trap" doors will provide the seal needed to allow the proper air pressure inside the stove.

Happy heating!

Steve

So do you have to empty the ashpan once a year and vacuum the inside of the stove every other burn.Really the ashes do not go in the ashpan they lie on the floor of the stove and I take out about two mugs of ash every other day I am just wondering if all models are similar.Also I find that sometimes the kids come home and turn up the thermostat but the stove will not light usually its because some ash has built into clinkers and the igniter cannot light the pellets thro the clinkers I have a soup spoon that I use to take out the ash and clinkers. I never read the manuel I am reading flags of our fathers right now and do not want to put that down.

I have a Lopi Yankee which has the same design for the Ash Pan. Your options are to either clean the ash from within the stove, or pull the slide out and sweep the ash into the pan. What I do is usually I just sweep the ash into the pan each day or 2, once in a while I pull the pan out and shove the ashes to the back of the pan. I figure I'll empty the pan once every month or 2. If I'm vacumming the inside of the stove for cleaning then I vacuum the ashes rather than dumping them into the pan.

yardleypa said:
So do you have to empty the ashpan once a year.... I never read the manuel I am reading flags of our fathers right now and do not want to put that down.

Hopefully you're joking on both comments....

No way you can empty a stove ashpan only once a year.
Over time the pan will fill up and need to be emptied if
you use the stove regularly.

Put down flags of our fathers and read your stove manual.
It's far more important and your book will still be there.

YardleyPA, do you know anyone on the FD down there, or maybe the late Jim Coyne?
Just curious. I work on an ex YMFC engine at work every day, and I helped the guys down there procure the deck gun on thier antique.
You have a great bunch iof guys serving you down there.
Eric

I think I met Jim once I know when they had his funeral they put the casket on an old antique fire truck and they had the bagpipes I heard it was a very moving funeral.Yea they are a good bunch of guys I remember my wife was doing hamburgers in the oven and they caught on fire I was not there and she panicked and called the fire dept they came I threw the hamburgers out all 15 firefighters I was so embarrassed I went and dropped 2 cases of beer off at the station and apologised.Attached is the link to Jim Coynes pictures of the funeral.Go into pictures.

http://www.yardleymakefieldfire.com

Jester said:
I dove behind the truck when I saw the camera, I dont care for being in photos

You're in the Witness Protection Program too? What a coincidence!

Status
Not open for further replies.