No ashes in the ash pan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jessica1802

Dec 11, 2020
Vermont
We got a new woodstove last year and I haven’t been able figure out how to empty the ashes into the ash pan. The ash pan is empty. My moms boyfriend was able to empty them once and she said he used the metal things inside the stove to empty it. I’ll attach some pictures to show you what I mean.

E2F6FB48-05A4-450E-9174-7340027C759A.jpeg 3158D75A-45FB-48EF-AE3E-166B5528B07C.jpeg

We got a new woodstove last year and I haven’t been able figure out how to empty the ashes into the ash pan. The ash pan is empty. My moms boyfriend was able to empty them once and she said he used the metal things inside the stove to empty it. I’ll attach some pictures to show you what I mean.

View attachment 269072 View attachment 269073
Did you read the manual for your stove to see what it says?

Did you grab onto that metal thing and lift it up? Looks like a standard issue ash chute plug. Both of my stoves have a plug that just lifts out.

Feel free to just scoop ashes out through the front door into a metal bucket. Then dump them somewhere safe outside like an old fire pit. Lots of stoves don’t even have ash pans.

Reactions: marty319
Stoves that do have ash pans are often better off getting shoveled out. Opening and closing the ash pan adds wear (and ash) to the gasket, and when the gasket fails you get an air leak in a place where you very much do not want an air leak.

Stoves that do have ash pans are often better off getting shoveled out. Opening and closing the ash pan adds wear (and ash) to the gasket, and when the gasket fails you get an air leak in a place where you very much do not want an air leak.

Only some ash pan systems use a gasket on a sealed door. The ash plug is more common and provides the seal. The OP’s ash drawer doesn’t have look to have a gasket either.

Reactions: Sailrmike