No Burn Regulations BS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr A

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2011
N. California
This is the biggest pile of steaming crap ever! I live in Sacramento, CA area. We have an ordinance I just became aware of. There have only been 4 legal burn days in December while temperatures have dipped below freezing! Found a citation hanging on my door knob this morning. Appears we have roaming smoke detectives wandering around at night. I'm supposed to complete an online wood smoke awareness course at a cost of $50. Second offense results in increase fines. So there you have it, bureaucrats drive up the costs of electricity and gas and then force you into using more of the utilities under threat of financial penalties.

Im sure I could make way more money living in California than rural PA. But what little freedom I have makes it worth it..

I wouldn't put it past 'em using an IR/flir camera as a means of capturing "proof" of your puffage.

Man, I'm sooo glad I don't live in the wonderful state of Californication.

They're very savy to fine those who park on the street, use water on "off" days, enforce burn ban days, bi-anual smog checks (desiel included), driving with tinted widows, sorry dude, but the list goes on and oooooon....

and PG&E uses a tiered rate for those who want to either stay warm in winter and keep cool in the summer. So you freeze in the winter trying to stay within your base rate allowance which never happens. Then pay 30% anything above your base rate, then 50% if more consumption demands.

I said it before and I'll say it again; THE GOLD RUSH IS OVER.

I'd have a hard time dealing with these restrictions also.

Let us know how that class goes. It'll be interesting to see what they have to share with you there and how accurate or even biased it is or is not.

Going to move this over to the inglenook since it's more a discussion / venting topic rather than a wood burning problem shooting type thread.

pen

I can tell this one is going to head to the can eventually....

The law there says that you pay $50 fine OR complete the awareness course for first offense.

You know, that is a good idea! Sacramento is full of medical marijuana dispensaries. They give anyone that wants one a medical marijuana card. I don't smoke it myself. They only smoke the buds and eat the leaves, I'll ask for the stems, get a card and burn their waste. Maybe make some sort of manufactured logs, lol. Compressed hemp logs.

Welcome to my world. We have the same problem here in the puget sound area. There was a long thread about it a few weeks ago that ended up in the ash can.

For us, the first offense is (up to) a 1000$ fine. I really do think that the fine is excessive.

I discussed the regulations with my chimney sweep today. He tells me his company is challenging the Air Quality Management District on their determination of amount of pollutants forecast for no burn days. Good to know those that make their living depending on us to keep using wood fuel are fighting back the faceless unelected bureaucrats that come to over regulate us, and threaten our freedom and prosperity. There have been 29 no burn days since Nov. 1, 2011. We have had a very clear skies weather pattern also. Independent industry groups, according to the sweep, says the particulate content calling for no burn day has actually been only 13 days. What else is interesting, is that as soon as the clouds start moving through, the burn status is legal. Also, Ceremonial fires related to specific religious activities are exempt under all circumstances. Sweep says he services many Wiccans.

Status
Not open for further replies.