No burn this morning - Spring has arrived!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

basswidow

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Milton GA
Got up this morning and headed down to let the dog out and feed the stove. Weather man says it could hit 60 today. Outside it was 41, inside still 69. I made a command decision. I cleaned out the ash, did a quick clean of the glass, and declared NO burn today! Might have to just do overnight burns for a few weeks - but things are starting to look good here. Felt good to take a break. We burned all weekend and the house was an oven.

I tried to get alittle splitting done this weekend. Most of my rounds are still locked in snow/ice in a big mound in the side yard. Theres still a foot of crusty icy snow - that has been stubborn to leave - so I can't get a truck or splitter back to it (I could with 4x4 drive - but it would be a mess). Plus I don't feel like I should have to dig the rounds out of the ice - just to split them. It should melt this week - so I can be done splitting by next weekend. The ones I did split - I had to use a sledge to break them loose from the ice.

I was hoping to be done with next years wood by March 1st. I am behind schedule. I really want to get this maple split and stacked.

Who's finished splitting and stacking for next year ?

Same here. Will start a fire after dinner and feed it until bedtime. Hopefully it goes that way for the rest of the month. Then again, it is still March. For now, I'll take whatever spring I can get.

Suppose to hit 50 here today......

This will be the first day sense the middle of Oct. that I haven't had a fire burning...... butI will need to start back up tonight.

If spring continues I plan to start burning the dead pine I have laying around and save the "good stuff" for colder temps. Thanks to a neighbor who needed 2 large cherry trees taken down plus a little scrounging that I did mid winter I'm already set for next year(good feeling!)...but I plan to start cutting/scrounging for 2012 soon since I think the world will not come to an end on 12/21/12 and I'll be needing the heat!

Saginaw hit 40 3 days ago for the first 40 this year. Today and tomorrow are supposed to be in the 50's. Long range says our high temperatures should be in the 40's for the rest of the month. Yes; spring! Sand hill cranes flying overhead 2 days in a row here.

I stopped loading morning and afternoons 3 days ago. When morning comes I smack the coals around at 8am and by 1pm it's about kicked but the steel keeps things warm enough. Around 4-5pm I build for the next fire and light it around 7-8pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.