No Cap on Insulation Shield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KTWO

Oct 1, 2012
Hi ... I recently had a wood burning fireplace installed by a local dealer. I noticed that they did not cap the insulation shield located directly above the fireplace in the external chase I had built on the side of my two story house. The installer states it is not needed. The fireplace manufacturer states it is required to keep insulation, building materials and rodents out of the gap between the chimney (perfab 10") and the insulation shield. Chase is built but not finished. The questions ...

1) Is it important that the insulation shield be capped? I am concerned that when i reroof etc. that something could fall between the shield and chimney. Since it is in a chase, I would never see it.

2) Does the insulation shield stop drafts? It seems to me that without it, I have a larger path for cold air to drop down behind the fireplace than I would if the cap was in place.

3) Should I ask the installer to rip into the chase to install the cap? They will need to move a chimney support bracket as well, as it was installed directly above the insulation shield ... which is maybe why there is no cap.

Thanks for the help with this. I know nothing about fireplaces ... but am learning allot.

Welcome to the Hearth, KTWO. We need to know what kind of fireplace you installed. Sounds like an zero-clearance of some sort. Is your chase insulated in any way, shape or form? Sounds to me like you are describing a firestop radiation shield.....what make and model of stove are you installing?

It is a Rumsford 1000. Chase is insulated with fiberglass batt insulation behind fire resistant gyprock. Also around what I am calling an insulation shield. I have attached a photo I took yesterday before the chase was sealed up.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    168.9 KB · Views: 102
ICC's install instructions call for a storm collar over the radiation shield in an attic install, to keep debris out. I didn't see anything requiring it if the chimney is external and enclosed in a chase. I could be wrong, I just took a quick look. Seems like it should be there anyway. It's a pretty inexpensive component.

Here's a link in case you don't have this info http://www.icc-rsf.com/en/icc/insulated-stainless-steel-chimney-model-ris

Reactions: ScotO
I'd say you definately want a storm collar around your pipe directly above the radiation shield. make the installer put it on, I would bet that it is code and should be installed. I'm building one right now too, and I will definately be putting one on. you never know what could fall down in that open cavity (bee's nests, wood splinters, dust buildup, etc....)

Reactions: milleo
Thanks for your replies. I appreciate that you take the time to point guys like me (newbies) in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.