No chimney boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dmacfarland

Mar 29, 2008
MA & NH
Does anyone know of a wood burning/dual fuel boiler that does not require a chimney?
ready to replace my oil powervent boiler. Metal chimney is out for aesthetic reasons, brick is out on cost, as it would have to be 40' tall to clear the roof. Gas not available in our area.

I didn't design the house, but am stuck with it now.

Thanks,

D

The Garn is the only boiler I'm aware of that can be direct vented. It's not exactly the kind of boiler that is easily retrofittable into existing boiler locations. It's huge....

Wood gun can be direct vented(no chimney) & is available dual fuel. I was just about called a liar on here untill Patrick cleared up this matter in one of his posts. You won't find this in any of their literature or the install manual, I believe because of liability reasons. Patrick is no longer with WG so you might want to call them & ask the latest opinion. Wood Gun is a great boiler. I have a friend who bought the stainless model with oil burner option & his is being vented right out the basement wall, Randy

You may want to consider installing in an outbuilding or in a shed to avoid the need for a chimney added to the house. Another option is to put in a metal chimney on the exterior and box it in to match with the existing siding.

I have the Wood Gun and thought about direct venting but decided not to as I didn't want to risk discoloration of my siding. Even though there is hardly any smoke once it gets going there is smoke on start up as with most any wood boiler. I also had to defeat the draft fan when burning oil due to a condensation issue and I believe direct veting without the fan would be an issue? Maybe this would be overcome with the power vent?

Status
Not open for further replies.