no fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfgmt

Feb 22, 2010
maine
Can you run the pellet stove with just the auger feed running and not the fan so it works with just convection like a wood stove would? Like say 2-0 on my settings

bfgmt said:
Can you run the pellet stove with just the auger feed running and not the fan so it works with just convection like a wood stove would? Like say 2-0 on my settings

It should result in a hi temperature shutdown if it gets too hot.

England may also have prevented that from being a possible choice in their newer stoves.

I know that the only time they want to have the stove run with the convection fan completely off is when they are on the phone with you and are trying to find a noise source, etc ...

bfgmt said:

I may be wrong here (I was once) but, at least in my Quest Plus, the draft is controlled by the exhaust fan unlike a fireplace where the draft is controled by the heat from the fire going straight up the chimney (draft is controlled by the damper at the top of the fire box).

The exhaust gases in (most, I think) pellet stoves follows a more convoluted path; up, down into the exhaust fan then out the flue.

If I try to burn without the exhaust fan my house fills with smoke since the pellets only smolder. It happened only once when the power went off.

Ro3bert said:
bfgmt said:

I may be wrong here (I was once) but, at least in my Quest Plus, the draft is controlled by the exhaust fan unlike a fireplace where the draft is controled by the heat from the fire going straight up the chimney (draft is controlled by the damper at the top of the fire box).

The exhaust gases in (most, I think) pellet stoves follows a more convoluted path; up, down into the exhaust fan then out the flue.

If I try to burn without the exhaust fan my house fills with smoke since the pellets only smolder. It happened only once when the power went off.

The OP is talking about the Convection Fan.

Enviro and Harman have that capability built into them....though its terribly in-efficient to do so. I suppose if you want the stove running in July its a nice feature. They both have over-rides for the convection blower if the stove gets too hot.

It was just a little to hot a few times and I still wanted the stove to keep heating just not blowing like it was its not a problem now that it is 14 deg out.

Status
Not open for further replies.