No fire on Thanksgiving?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff_t

Minister of Fire
Sep 14, 2008
SE MI
My wife says our guests will be too hot, with the oven going all day and everything going on. I said they should know by now to bring shorts to our house.....

We are in a similar debate at my place. My position is that we bought the stove to use it. I am urging everyone to dress in layers, and if it gets too hot, we can always open a window. Plus, I'll have plenty of cold drinks to go 'round.

NitroDave said:
I have the opposite problem....

Go to the siter's and ffffffffrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeeeeee.....

NO wood burner there... :gulp:

I've got a similar problem, worsened by the fact that I have to turn the furnace on in my
house until I get back.

In this situation I let the house get pretty cold, like 65, before guests arrive and have a fire ready to light at the first mention of coolness. It will heat up quick, people will be impressed with your fire starting skills, and as they watch the roaring startup fire they will drink and more easily be hypnotized by the system. Their full bellies will make them sleepy for sure.

It stinks to be hot and try to fill your belly at the same time. Let your wife win sorta.

Mr T said:
My wife says our guests will be too hot, with the oven going all day and everything going on. I said they should know by now to bring shorts to our house.....

The wife is always right . . . even when she's wrong. :) ;) Go with your wife's advice . . . or simply light up a small fire if anyone feels a bit cool after the meal.

I HATE being hot, but I don't mind the extra heat from the wood stove when people come over. I just open up the windows and allow the house to breath a bit. Fresh air is ALWAYS a good thing for a well fed crowd packed in a house.

No fire on Ttanksgiving seems ..........well.........Un American. And Thats it. And I approve this message

I'll be at the in-laws missing my woodstove! :long:

Just burn like you are going to work - get her fired up in the AM and then close her up. Open it up again at some point later on and get her stoked up for the evening run...

waste it on ventilation so they can fart freely

Ya,I think you might not want to tell the wife that idea. She will probably not be too impressed with your solution or thought process.

It's all about the timing. The more people in your house, the more heat the produce. Start the fire early and time it so that it starts dying as the guests arrive. as more people show up, their body heat will keep the temp up as the fire dies. Then when you want them to leave, put on shorts and crank up the stove.

We're so spoiled. We're used to sitting about in shorts all winter with the temps 77-80. No one else in our families has a wood stove so they max out at 68 degrees. sweaters and pants for Thanksgiving. How barbaric.

Depending on the weather, the stove cooking a turkey and boiling pots of potatoes and squash may heat the house more than I like anyway. I'll be at the MIL house this year- they keep it way too hot there anyway.

This thursday i will meet my parents at my brothers for turkey time.He is supposed to get a Regency I2400 installed this wed and im sure it will be blazing and the talk of thanksgiven day.

Mr T said:

Sounds like a good time for a game of strip poker or "coed naked twister"

Friend of mine whi is an HVAC advisor says a human gives off about 450 BTUs. Get 10 people together in a room with the oven going and you do certainly start to affect the heat equation.

We don't do thanksgiving any more. Our first non-thanksgiving was about four years ago when we went striper fishing on lake cumberland. It was a blast. This year we are going to spend the day at a friend's cabin in the woods, playing cards and drinking.

Ever thought about what it would be like to ignore Christmas too? We've done that for about two years now and we are never going back.

jpl1nh said:
HVAC advisor says a human gives off about 450 BTUs.

That's pretty interesting, I wonder how it varies with size (I'm a 100 lbs more than my wife).

I'll borrow a quote from my boss's boss (except in reverse b/c he usually says this in the summer). If you think it's too -hot- inside, take a couple laps around the block with no coat. You'll come back inside and be mighty thankful for the -warmth-.

This is my first year burning and I'll have afire layed in for the morning. I'll get it going and plop down on the floor with the kids. We'll watch the Macy's parade after I get the bird in the roaster.

Most of my friends and relatives are too cheap, too busy(I take that as lazy, cause we all got kids, work, blah blah blah), or can't afford to turn the thermostat over 65, so every time there is a gathering here I love to watch them sweat.

Status
Not open for further replies.