No-frills generator backup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scelder

Jun 19, 2014
Indiana
I recently picked up a used Harman Accentra. I have a 1500 watt Champion generator for backup power.

I've read some conflicting information on how to hookup a pellet stove to a regular (non-inverter) generator -- some say the power fluctuations aren't extreme enough to warrant extra equipment, others saying that there needs to be something between the stove and generator to moderate the power flow.

I'm not able to spend the money on the whole Harman backup system, just looking to make sure the stove will run well and not be damaged during a power outage.

I've seen some step-down converters and other pieces of equipment that seem like glorified surge protectors and seem geared primarily to people setting up high-dollar sound equipment or powerful computing systems. They are much less expensive than inverters. Are they an option? What have you used successfully?

Thanks in advance.

I own two champion gensets. The 3500 non-inverter and the 3200 watt inverter. Champion makes great products that aren't as perfect as the Honda/Yamaha inverters but are much much better than the typical non-inverter contractor style set. The RV crowd has a lot of retired nerds and some of them are wacky enough to hook up scopes to their beloved champions and measure the cleanliness and pureness of the output. The sine wave is near perfect and on a 120 volt load like the pellet stove I would not hesitate to use it.

I have used my champion non-inverter for big screen TVs, computers, etc. and the only item that acted a bit odd was the light hum from the ceiling fan on low.

I'd still put a small UPS (uninteruptable power supply) between the gen and the stove. Actually, you probably should have a UPS on the stove all the time. That way, you are protected from power surges/spikes and brief outages all the time. For under $50, well worth it.

Thanks for that information -- I couldn't remember the technical names of the products.

I've been trying to determine the difference between the UPS you mentioned versus an Automatic Voltage Regulator versus a straightforward Surge Protector / Suppressor with regards to pellet stoves & generators.

The bar style voltage suppressor takes away spikes, etc. but typically not surges/low voltage as a UPS will. A small UPS is the size of a brick, a large one, the size of a cinder block. Better quality UPS units will separate the incoming and outgoing lines. IOW, there is no wire directly connecting the two sides, you are always running off batteries, in effect. This is far better but more expensive and you may not need that level of protection. The battery in a UPS will typically last 3 yrs for me, but not need to replace it to get spike/suppression protection.

Basically, cheap units are cheap protection, more $$ spent means better protection and longer running without hydro. My guess is that a UPS worth $60 range should power a pellet stove for an hour. I am only guessing, you'd have to do the math on your power draw vs. the unit you're looking at.

Status
Not open for further replies.