No heat coming from harman stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rhschumaker

Mar 18, 2008
Western MA
We have a year old p38 and noticed tonight that where we had a flame, etc. there was no heat blowing from stove. The combustion blower is turning but the distribution blower is not turning. However, you can easily move it with a screw driver so I don't think there is anything stuck in there. Could it be the ESP? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Okay, everything cooled down, we ran a test and the distribution blower came on as it should during the test. I'm assuming based on what we've read that it could most likely be the ESP? Thoughts? How easy is this to change? Husband is very mechanically sound. Any info on how to replace ESP?

Thank you!

Not to be a dope but can you tell me what it looks like on the panel or give me some direction as far as where to go to see what it looks like? Again, thank you!

Your ESP is on the exhaust part of your stove, before you connect the adapter for your vent, unscrew it and it slides out, it has 2 black wires connected to it almost looks like a silver thermometer when you pull it out

rhschumaker said:
Okay, everything cooled down, we ran a test and the distribution blower came on as it should during the test. I'm assuming based on what we've read that it could most likely be the ESP? Thoughts? How easy is this to change? Husband is very mechanically sound. Any info on how to replace ESP?

Thank you!

If your ESP has never been cleaned after a year of burning, it's possible thats all it might need. Windex and a paper towel should do the job. Try cleaning before replacing. ESP is a "silver" color when its clean.

rhschumaker said:
It was filthy - cleaned it, fired up the stove and works as it should! Thank you!!!

Happy to hear that worked for you. I usually clean mine after every ton burned. Don't forget to vacuum out any dust that settles into the fins of your distribution blower and combustion fan. I use a toothbrush to clean off build up on fins of combustion blower located behind ash box. (on Harman Advance, don't know where it's located on yours)

nick_ide said:
Do you remove the ESP to clean it ? Or do you just reach the toothbrush through the vent ?

My hand is small enough to fit through the vent to clean it. I use paper towel and windex to clean it. The toothbrush is used to clean the fins on the combustion blower although I supppose it would work equally well on the ESP. Be careful not to bend it. The best cleaning is through the back of the stove by disconnecting the venting, the ESP is easier to reach there,,,but it's a pain to disconnect the tee and turn the stove around...so that gets done that way either at the end of the burning season or before the next one when I flush out the venting of carbon.

Status
Not open for further replies.