Q&A No heat from Vermont Castings woodstoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I live in Northern Virginia in a 3000 square foot house. I have 2 fireplaces- 1 in the first floor den and 1 in the upstairs master bedroom. Currently- I have 2 Vermont Castings woodstove inserts- 1 in each fireplace. These are older models (#0044) and neither is direct connected to the flue. I also have vaulted ceilings on the first floor and master bedroom. The problem is that the stoves hardly generate any heat. I can barely get them above 200 degrees. What would you suggest I do. Direct connect or buy new woodstoves. Would a better stove solve my problem and not make me rely on the heat pump- or is there a different brand of woodstove that you recommend. I am home only in the early morning and then again in the evening and I have a fear of letting a woodstove burn while I am not at home. Any suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated

Answer:

A pellet stove will cost you more in fuel- is expensive to begin with and will require an entire chimney relining. In addition- it will need electric to operate. That said- it will produce some nice heat. So will either your existing woodstoves or a new one. Your problem is one --or both of two things
1. Poor draft...no matter which stove you purchase you will not get any heat out of it unless you have a good draft. this will require at least a direct connection to the flue- and preferable a relining of the chimney to the top.
2. Poor wood...If your wood is wet or not fully seasoned- this will also cause the low temperature problem. All in all- sounds like a draft problem to me. A newer stove will be more efficient on wood and keep your chimney cleaner..also the glass doors stay clean and look really nice...but they still need good draft ! <p>
Improving your draft is an art, not a science, but two things you can do are;
1. Line your chimney partially or fully with stainless steel.
2. Extend the height of your chimney.<p>Some new lightweight and inexpensive chimney extenders are available now...see link below.

Link: Extend-A-Flue Chimney Extensions

Status
Not open for further replies.