No heat required, just a little romance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freddie's girl

Sep 29, 2015
Long Island, NY
Hi, folks. It seems that mostif not all the folks here are concerned with burn time and btus. We might get there one day, but right now we just want a small wood stove (600 sq ft house) that's easy to light, so we can see and smell and hear a wood fire for a few hours. Our local dealer sells Vermont Castings, Morso and Hearthstone. We almost bought a Morso 7110, but someone said we won't hear or smell anything (model doesn't have a screen). Any advice for us old love birds would be appreciated.

Craigslist - find an old smoke dragon that comes with a screen.

New ones are all about containing the fire and burning smoke efficiently... screen has no place there.

... and so it begins.

Many have come here with the same aim, myself included. Once we see others here heating their homes for free, and having all sorts of fun and exercise in the process, our fates are sealed.

I'd recommend a stove with a optional screen for open-door burning. Most here start that way, although they'll tell you they switched to closed-door burning, shortly thereafter, and never looked back!

I'm not sure how many non-cat EPA stoves permit open-door burning, but several cat stoves do. You do not need to resort to an old smoke dragon, for open door burning.

Hearthstone before vc. Every time. There are lots of decent hearthstone models to choose from if part time "ambiance" burning is your thing.

Do you have a Jotul dealer anywhere close to you? Go to Jotul.com to take a look at the F3CB. Screams "ambiance", available with fire screen.

Many have come here with the same aim, myself included. Once we see others here heating their homes for free, and having all sorts of fun and exercise in the process, our fates are sealed.

+1

I wanted just the ambiance of fire. Now I'm addicted to burning. So is my wife. You gonna feel, see and sometimes smell fire ( with occasional smoke spill). You dont need open door to feel the fire. You want to invest in modern stove with looks that you like and you not gonna be disappointed . You gonna get plenty of fire "feel", your house will be toasty and you gonna get new hobby.
Folks here will advise you what stove to get for 600sq ft

Hi, folks. It seems that mostif not all the folks here are concerned with burn time and btus. We might get there one day, but right now we just want a small wood stove (600 sq ft house) that's easy to light, so we can see and smell and hear a wood fire for a few hours. Our local dealer sells Vermont Castings, Morso and Hearthstone. We almost bought a Morso 7110, but someone said we won't hear or smell anything (model doesn't have a screen). Any advice for us old love birds would be appreciated.
Welcome to the madness that is burning wood. :) And no worries, your stove will afford you lots of opportunities to 'smell it'.

Hi FG, welcome. X2 on the venerable F3CB, works well with the screen option and will heat your area quite nicely. I'd look at that used one too, 500-600 should get it, if its still there, the current screen will work just fine with it. (New its 1859 MSRP). Good luck.

When I have my stove lit with the door closed, we can still see the fire and enjoy the ambiance. If you aren't careful you'll get a little smoke smell in the room too and a slight smell, so I think even a woodstove with glass front gives nice ambiance.

Jotul F3 or F100 would be on the top of my list. But if the chimney is tall enough the revised Craftsbury would do.

My husband wants to work with our local dealer, so our options would be a VC, or Hearthstone Craftsbury, which I understand is difficult to light cold.

As a former VC owner, I would not, under any circumstances, recommend a VC, unless you want to spend a lot of money to maintain the stove or outright replace it in 3 to 5 years.

Reactions: Ashful
DId not know the Jotul F3B has a screen for open buring. If yes it will be perfect for your application. My parents have that stove and its great!

Also it looks great!

As a former VC owner, I would not, under any circumstances, recommend a VC, unless you want to spend a lot of money to maintain the stove or outright replace it in 3 to 5 years.

As a current VC owner I would not recommend them. Sadly they are a shadow of great company they where in their heyday of the 80s. ( I grew up with them)

If you avoid the everburn non-cas, put in the effort to maintain them and monitor like a hawk you can get good heat out of their better models, but the ROI on your effort and $$ is low and frustration factor is high.

also gonna have to suggest the jotul F3CB. Proud owner here. This thing rocks if you don't mind the price tag.

Status
Not open for further replies.