No I'm Not Back, Just Poked My Head in For a Minute

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wkpoor

Minister of Fire
Oct 30, 2008
Amanda, OH
A friend called me the other day to tell me he saw an Elm thread posted here. Since that is indeed a rarity I had to check it out for chits and giggles.
I've been out busy focusing on my hobby/side business growing veggies and selling at farmers markets, even in the winter here in Ohio.
Anyway I've lost track of time but this may be my 4th season with an Elm (I now have 2). Seemed to me all the comments in that thread were acturate. I will update my experience to those that may be interested. We all buy products in our lives, sometimes they don't always live up to expectations. I gotta tell ya the Elm is one that has exceeded my expectations. Not to say there aren't many others on the market that could too, but at least I've had nothing but a good experience with this one. Both Elms are my primary heat for my house. I've only burned 11/2 cords so far this year (I live in south central Ohio in an 1800 sqft house w/full basement). Burntimes are 8-12hrs easily and thats not filling either stove to capacity to try and get it. In fact most of the time I only put 3-4 medium splits in at reload. I don't try to get stoves to get hot but with my very tall chimney it just happens that after reload I often see 800 degrees stove top temps. And this has happened daily since they were put in service. After several 100 of these firings not a single problem has arisen from this. The doors still work and seal same as new and the door design is such I probably will never have to change out a door seal at least for many many yrs. Basically it is a real tank of a stove.
Yes it is a niche market, there are no certs or EPA blessing. They are very simple is design and construction.
From an owner point of view they will burn as clean as anything on the market. I only see a small amount of smoke at relight or reload. Otherwise chimney is clear.
Anyone want to call and ask questions ask for Bill 614-361-three two nine six

Reactions: ailanthus and pen
Good to see ya Bill. Thanks for dropping in. Finally put that second stove upstairs and you don't love us anymore. ;lol

Stay warm.

Thanks for checking in, Bill. I really like those unique stoves, even though I've never had one. Rick

Nice hearing from you Bart.
I learned alot on this forum and prolly the biggest lesson was basement heating. Even with an 18' high ceiling the first floor runs 78-82 degrees now most of the time (yes I know I was real hard headed about that for a long time). I still heat the basement since we spend alot of time down there but I no longer need to push the basement stove to try and heat 3 floors. Now if winter would just go away soon. I've got a spring garden to plant!

Awesome looking stoves - thanks for sharing your experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.