No longer smokeless...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

agartner

Feeling the Heat
Dec 9, 2009
Southern NH
Curious observation. This year i took the plunge and had the chimney fully lined for my kent. Straight shot off the top of the stove and up a 2 story exterior masonry chimney. Liner is insulated and the install is sound...spent the cash to have a pro do it.

Previously, i only had flex pipe up and into the first flue tile with a steel block off plate.

The stove performance is great. Drafts better, burns hotter, starts easier. Glass stays clean, and there is nothing telling me that things are amiss. Except for the smoke. Every time i look at the stack, i see light grey or white smoke coming out of the top. I domt smell anything though, and it typically dissapates quickly. Previous to the full lining, all i would see are the heatwaves when i got up to temp.

Fuel is biobricks, which rules out the whole unseasoned wood thing.

Love to hear your opinion on this.

Light grey or white. Dissipates within twenty feet. You are seeing steam from the moisture in the wood and the humidity in the intake air from the house.

Spot on B. Still damn curious why i see it now and havent in years past. Maybe the steam was dissapating in the masonry chimney before, and now it doesnt have a chance to now in the insulated liner?

Yeah. I never saw it until I lined the flues. I think it was sticking to the cooler flue tiles and making that mess I always had to brush out of there.

Yup, the exhaust is hotter as it exits the chimney and has more moisture still in it.

Glad to hear your Kent is breathing better, agartner.

Seems to be doing quite nicely. I was startin to think...maybe its time to replace...that pe true north would fit nicely and the price is right.

Blasphemy, i say.

BrotherBart said:
You are seeing steam from the moisture .... humidity in the intake air from the house.

Not to hijack this thread, but you may have hit on why I see a bit of discharge from my basement install's chimney, whereas there is zero on the main level install's chimney. My old basement - which opens into the new basement is definately more humid than the upstairs. Both burn wood from the same wood pile, but both have different sources inlet air quality - for lack of a better description.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.