No luck with 3" Duravent pellet appliance adapter. How does it fit? - Answer found! Unbelieveble!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

I have a one foot pellet pipe where the inside tube diameter is 1/16" less than 3 inches. It goes onto the Pelpro stove vent pipe just fine. So to do it right I bought a pellet stove appliance adapter by duravent. Not the Duravent pro line. This adapter has the rop gasket like all the other pipes.

Now the adapter inside pipe measures very close to 3 inches and does not fit inside the stove vent pipe???

Should the adapter be crimpted with HVAC crimpers? Am I missing something here??

Please advise. See pics below.

Attachments

• DuraventAppliancAdapter (1)sc.jpg
    DuraventAppliancAdapter (1)sc.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 1,886
  • DuraventAppliancAdapter (2)sc.jpg
    DuraventAppliancAdapter (2)sc.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 2,047
Its designed to be a very tight fit. All of mine are. They all had to be spun back and forth while pushed on.

What does the vent collar on the Pel-Pro measure (O.D.)??

I had a similar problem with mine. the DV adapter was not real tight when slid onto the stoves flue collar. Was a concern as I came off the flue collar with the adapter then attached a T-fitting and up 5 1/2' from there. Generous amounts of high temp black sealant did the trick. It is a solid connection with zero issues. I made the connection with the "T" already attached to the adapter and then supported that piece while the sealant cured so I could finish venting.

Hello

I tried tapping it on with a rubber hammer and them bent the crap out of it!! So I got another and a friend who I swa at Dunkin Donuts said he had to crimp the inside to get it into his US Stove. So I tried crimping and tapping it on and it still bent inside and was useless. The weird thing about it is luckily I had an OLD 1 foot duravent pipe the fits perfectly. So I used that for now but the front of the stove is hanging off the hearth!

Does this mean I nead an OLD stove adapter??

I never thought a standard install would be this difficult. I could have gone straight out and then up the side of the shed. I did not want the pipe to be so low to the ground. Now I do not want to cut another vent.

Does Anyone have an old 3" stove adapter?

Attachments

• StoveVentPipe (2)sc.jpg
    StoveVentPipe (2)sc.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 1,626
  • StoveVentPipe (1)sc.jpg
    StoveVentPipe (1)sc.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 1,691
DexterDay said:
Its designed to be a very tight fit. All of mine are. They all had to be spun back and forth while pushed on.

What does the vent collar on the Pel-Pro measure (O.D.)??

Hi Dexter

Looks like the PelPro O.D. is just about 3"

See pic

Any ideas, I sure would like to get an adapter that works so the stove will be closer to the wall!!!

Whhat is the O.D. on your stove for comaparison?

Attachments

• PeproVentDiamSC.jpg
    PeproVentDiamSC.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 1,195
Don2222 said:
Now the adapter inside pipe measures very close to 3 inches and does not fit inside the stove vent pipe???.

Don, Are you trying to get the stove flange between the inner and outer pipe of the adapter? I thought the stove flange would be the inner most pipe in the assembly.
When I set my stove up the flange and adapter were very tight, silicone provided enough lube to get them together.

Wachusett said:
Don, Are you trying to get the stove flange between the inner and outer pipe of the adapter? I thought the stove flange would be the inner most pipe in the assembly.......

The exhaust pipe on the stove is meant to be slid inside the stove adapter. It has been the same on both my Astoria and the 10-cpm.

Reactions: tbear853
imacman said:
Wachusett said:
Don2222 said:
Don, Are you trying to get the stove flange between the inner and outer pipe of the adapter? I thought the stove flange would be the inner most pipe in the assembly.......

The exhaust pipe on the stove is meant to be slide inside the stove adapter. It has been the same on both my Astoria and the 10-cpm.

I tried it both ways Pete wth no luck. The Pelpro flange fits nicely on the OLD 1 footer under the inner and outer walls. ???

Did u buy your adapter at HD or Lowes? I got mine at Lowes!!
http://www.lowes.com/pd_62709-76845...tt=pellet+stove+appliance+adapter&facetInfo;=

Attachments

• LowesPelletStoveApplianceAdapter.jpg
    LowesPelletStoveApplianceAdapter.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 1,493
I used a standard 2 foot straight piece of Simpson pellet Duravent as I couldn't get premade pieces to fit my length requirement....measured then cut the end off the pipe on the stove side to get the correct length. After cutting the entire pipe to the correct length, I then used a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel to trim back the outer sheath about 1/2" or so, leaving the internal 3" pipe exposed to slide onto the outside of the stove exhaust (secured with high temp silicone). Reinstalled the fiberglass rope in the end after cutting.....

mscj said:
I used a standard 2 foot straight piece of Simpson pellet Duravent as I couldn't get premade pieces to fit my length requirement....measured then cut the end off the pipe on the stove side to get the correct length. After cutting the entire pipe to the correct length, I then used a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel to trim back the outer sheath about 1/2" or so, leaving the internal 3" pipe exposed to slide onto the outside of the stove exhaust (secured with high temp silicone). Reinstalled the fiberglass rope in the end after cutting.....

Hi mscj

That is a good idea, in fact if I cut one of those adjustable 1 footers back that just might work out fine.

I tried the adjustable and just would not fit.. Back to the drawing board!!

The stove's flue collar goes between the inner and outer lining of the doubled walled adapter. This should fit snug but not so snug that you need a rubber mallet. Dura-vent also requires you to seal this connection up with hi-temp silicone.... Should state that right on the adapter... Based on the pic you provided, that adapter is to large for your flue collar.

Hi Don,
I had the same adaptor on my instal. It was very tight at first and I could not get it to go on. I took a piece of sandpaper and sanded the light rust off the back of the stove flange. I got the adaptor to just about go on a smidge after great effort. Once it was on by about 1/8" I put a 2x4 flat up against the adaptor and tapped it on with a hammer slowly. It was easier the second time I tried to do it! I cringed when yousaid you crimped it! :)

VCBurner said:
Hi Donn,
I had the same adaptor on my instal. It was very tight at first and I could not get it to go on. I took a piece of sandpaper and sanded the light rust off the back of the stove flange. I got the adaptor to just about go on a smidge after great effort. Once it was on by about 1/8" I put a 2x4 flat up against the adaptor and tapped it on with a hammer slowly. It was easier the second time I tried to do it! I cringed when yousaid you crimped it! :)

Veru Good point there. Could be slight corrosion or oxidation that is prohibiting it from sliding over the stoves collar. It wouldnt take much.

I would try the light sandpaper on the stoves collar.

DexterDay said:
VCBurner said:
Hi Donn,

Veru Good point there. Could be slight corrosion or oxidation that is prohibiting it from sliding over the stoves collar. It wouldnt take much.

I would try the light sandpaper on the stoves collar.

I did sand that pipe and painted it when I fixed up the stove. That is a good idea though. I think I will see if I can get another stove adapter locally (Not from Lowe's or HD) and give it another shot. Crimping might work on a US Stove like my friend Mike's stove but definately not here!!!

yooper81 said:
The stove's flue collar goes between the inner and outer lining of the doubled walled adapter. This should fit snug but not so snug that you need a rubber mallet. Dura-vent also requires you to seal this connection up with hi-temp silicone.... Should state that right on the adapter... Based on the pic you provided, that adapter is to large for your flue collar.

That is why I thought crimping would work but it didn't!!!
Yes, it really is too large but does Duravent make different sizes??

Crimping shouldn't be done on any stove. That puts the adapter on the inside. Which is a positive pressure system.

A wood stove can be crimped going onto the stove. But the Stove pipe on a wood stove is negative pressure.

Even if the crimp was sealed, I wouldnt trust it. One little leak, means CO in the house. As crimps have lots of gaps.

DexterDay said:
Crimping shouldn't be done on any stove. That puts the adapter on the inside. Which is a positive pressure system.

A wood stove can be crimped going onto the stove. But the Stove pipe on a wood stove is negative pressure.

Even if the crimp was sealed, I wouldnt trust it. One little leak, means CO in the house. As crimps have lots of gaps.

That makes sense. Is that why the stove flange must go inside the inner wall of the stove adapter?

Don2222 said:
DexterDay said:

That makes sense. Is that why the stove flange must go inside the inner wall of the stove adapter?

Yep. And also why High Temp RTV is used (heavily).

Your a smart man Don. Im sure you will figure out the problem.

Did you paint the stove Collar/Flange? If so, paint may have added some unneeded diameter on it????

DexterDay said:
Don2222 said:
DexterDay said:

Yep. And also why High Temp RTV is used (heavily).

Your a smart man Don. Im sure you will figure out the problem.

Did you paint the stove Collar/Flange? If so, paint may have added some unneeded diameter on it????

Yes, I did paint it. So when I get a new stove adapter I will consider that. Thanks

Hello

There is a nice Adjustable Pellet Stove Appliance adapter for Selkirk pipes!!
http://heating-and-cooling.hardware...le-pellet-pipe-connector-645180.aspx#features

There should be one for Simpson Duravent??

See pic of Selkirk Adapter below
Adjustable Pellet Pipe Connector, 3"
This item is available ONLINE ONLY.

You can also special order this item through our Retail Locations in New England and New York.

•Selkirk Incorporated Model # 243243
•ADJUSTABLE
•VP PELLET PIPE
•GALVANIZED
•Dia. Ins. 3
•Unit: each
•Unit Weight: 3.0000 lbs
•UPC Code: 53713438530

Attachments

• SelkirkApplianceAdapter.jpg
    SelkirkApplianceAdapter.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,110

Attachments

• HDapplianceAdapter.jpg
    HDapplianceAdapter.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 825
Hello

Well this is unbelieveble, so I returned the 2 - 3079 Duravent pellet stove appliance adapters to Lowes even though they were bashed up a little and went to Aubuchon Hardware and purchase the exact same 3079 Duravent pellet stove appliance adapter and guess what? Just using my hand it went on all the way and snug too!!!! The diameter of the inside pipe of the adapter was exactly a full 3 inches not a 1/16" less like the other adapter. So it did go over the stove flange just fine!!

Is it amazing what sloppy workmanship can do! They all should be the same!! I was thinking that the stove manufacturers may not be consistant which is understandable but for Duravent to be inconsistant is inexcusable!!

Of course I had to pay Mass Sales tax and the price was $14.99 not $12.00 at Lowes.
Lowes can sell them for 2 cents if they do not work they are worthless!!!

http://heating-and-cooling.hardware...dapters/pellet-stove-pipe-adapter-105101.aspx

Attachments

• AubuchonApplianceAdapter.jpg
    AubuchonApplianceAdapter.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 863
yooper81 said:
The stove's flue collar goes between the inner and outer lining of the doubled walled adapter.

I don't know why nobody has pointed out how wrong that is... but I hope nobody finds this thread and follows that advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.