No more attempts at overnite burns-at least not until January.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRanger

Nov 19, 2007
British Columbia
After some experimentation,did manage 7 hour burntimes overnite. Last night-ughhhh.

Woke up at 4 am this morning in a mass of sweat. See out here on the coast the temp went from 2C outside at 10 pm to 8C at 4 am. It is not like most places where the temperature rises with the sun. Weather changes any old time it feels like it. And it was 20C in the bedrooms. Too damn warm for me to sleep. Stupidly I reloaded the insert anyway thinking the temps were the same as the night before that. Wasn`t till I checked with the weather network that I realized what had happened.

Just saying that this is a common occurence in these neck of the woods. So am going back to the old way of leaving the boiler set at 15C for overnight and not bothering to reload the insert anymore.

32F and snowing here. >:-( 0 in that C stuff.

I know exactly what you mean, I just cant ever seem to get it right. When the weather man says its going to be cold I load the stove up and sweat all night. This last week there were 2 days when the low was supposed to be 28 so I didn't put much wood in the stove. Lows on both nights were in the single digits and the house was 60 when I woke up. I've decided to play it safe until the weather stays cold and load a moderate amount of wood in the stove and turn the electric on. Shouldn't use too much electricity to juts raise the house a few degrees on the days the weather gets cold.

22 f right now, low is supposed to be 4 f tonight

mike

The Cs drive me nuts. No reference to reality. I think you mean it was cold but got warm in the night? We've just begun all day burning but it is just so warm that the stove stays at the lowest burn possible.

sonnyinbc said:
After some experimentation,did manage 7 hour burntimes overnite. Last night-ughhhh.

Woke up at 4 am this morning in a mass of sweat. See out here on the coast the temp went from 2C outside at 10 pm to 8C at 4 am. It is not like most places where the temperature rises with the sun. Weather changes any old time it feels like it. And it was 20C in the bedrooms. Too damn warm for me to sleep. Stupidly I reloaded the insert anyway thinking the temps were the same as the night before that. Wasn`t till I checked with the weather network that I realized what had happened.

Just saying that this is a common occurence in these neck of the woods. So am going back to the old way of leaving the boiler set at 15C for overnight and not bothering to reload the insert anymore.

You're just not going to get even heating 24/7 with a woodstove! Got to get used to it or use your central heating to even things out.

Highbeam said:
The Cs drive me nuts. No reference to reality. I think you mean it was cold but got warm in the night? We've just begun all day burning but it is just so warm that the stove stays at the lowest burn possible.

ha,ha, it was approx. 34 at 10 pm and jumped to about 46-48 outside by 4 am.

Also, I had been doing as some others suggested-that is getting the bottom level cranked to about 86 before going to bed, and in this house the heat has no where to go but up. And it did at the same time as the temps outside were warming up. Also the previous two nights the temps outside hovered around 34-36 all thru the night.

You might just be a little too far inland to get this kind of instant moderating influence from the Pacific?

celsious to farhenit is usually a simple formula=double it and add 30-makes it fairly close.

You raise a good point though, most readers are american, so think in future posts I will use the F.

That happened on a freak cold night in October. In-law visiting and I set the night load when we got back from dinner. We drank and chatted till two in the morning and the temp was supposed to be 18 by sunup. In my lubricated state I filled the stove back up before going to bed. The outside temp went up instead of down and the stove was cranking. It got up to 80 upstairs in the bedrooms and they had to open the windows in their bedroom.

Why not crack a window in the bedroom? I've done it a few times when I misjudged the weather or wanted coals in the morning. The fresh air will do ya good anyways.

Todd said:
Why not crack a window in the bedroom? I've done it a few times when I misjudged the weather or wanted coals in the morning. The fresh air will do ya good anyways.

Agree. Just saying that in a mild climate such as this, I really should`nt become too infatuated with the overnite burn thing. If memory serves me correctly? Last year we burned 125 gallons (US) of oil. Even at 4 bucks a gallon, that isn`t anything to get even remotely upset about. Besides, as BG pointed out, the boiler should be run occasionaly just to keep it in good order.

Think my problem has been reading too many posts, most of which originate from much harsher climates than here. And perhaps should just be content knowing that our total heating costs are less than 2k per season. And this is buying my wood csd.

But human nature being as it is--we almost always fail to realize how good we got it. :bug:

Our weather is being very weird right now. 10* Wednesday and Thursday 45* yesterday and today hit 60*.....At this rate I won't have to order 4 cords of wood for next 'winter'.

As said, open a window. Who else can do that in the winter and not be upset. So what you need to cool off a bit. You are wearing shorts and a T-shirt (you are aren't you!!). Feel good that you can do that instead of turning up the furnace. Good job!!!
Chad

Yup sunny, it seems uncharacteristically warm in the PNW or I guess PSW if your in Canada. We saw a lighted parade and didn't need the fleece tonight. It rained the whole time but at least its warm out.

uptrapper said:
I know exactly what you mean, I just cant ever seem to get it right. When the weather man says its going to be cold I load the stove up and sweat all night. This last week there were 2 days when the low was supposed to be 28 so I didn't put much wood in the stove. Lows on both nights were in the single digits and the house was 60 when I woke up. I've decided to play it safe until the weather stays cold and load a moderate amount of wood in the stove and turn the electric on. Shouldn't use too much electricity to juts raise the house a few degrees on the days the weather gets cold.

22 f right now, low is supposed to be 4 f tonight

mike

Whatdaya mean Mike? It's always cold at da Soo!

Hey sonny count you're blessing it's so warm there...and I same same way can't sleep when it too hot.

Count you blessings Sonney! It's 13 F'n degrees here right now with -10 F'n degree wind chill screamin' off the lake.We have so much snow I expect to see a wolly mammoth break out of the ice any day now. Wifes in Vegas and she says its been in the high 60's low 70's days there. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

bokehman said:
BrotherBart said:
32F and snowing here. >:-( 0 in that C stuff.
I thought you said your climate was sub-tropical.

I never said HOW sub. Record low for this date is 1F or -17C. The personal weather station just south of me says we did 16F -8C last night and it is 34F right now with 35 MPH wind gusts. Dreading going to the woodpile.

Thanks Sonny for the conversion, those temps are similar to mine. We have only seen frost on a handful of mornings so far. Really need the cold and rain to move in for the sake of our mountain snow pack. We depend on that snow for hydro power and drinking water. Well, also to ski on.

I sleep with the window open 365 days a year. Haven't had a cold in four years (neither has the wife). My uncle got me started on this. He hasn't had a cold in ten years.
Even when it has been -37C I still crack the window open.
Cracking closed can be difficult however....

A cold front came in yesterday. They're saying it'll be in the 30's at night for the next few days here on the upper left coast. I started up the stove this morning. By next Friday/Saturday there's an even colder front expected to drop down on us. Time for 24/7 burning.

We never leave the heat on at night, whichever kind it is. We always leave a window open EXCEPT when they're strippin' cotton (like now) or the dirt's blowin' (like yesterday--60-80 mph). We're always warm under the covers, so why burn? That way I rest easy 'cause the fire's quiet (down to coals). Maybe it's just me, but there's something I like about getting up in a cold house to start the fire while the family is still abed. Kinda makes me feel like I need to start the coffee and biscuits afore I go 'round kickin' the hands out'n their bedrolls out on the trail.

FYI--That scene still exists out here in West Texas. In fact, there are enough large working spreads around here that the chuckwagons and cooks who feed the hands on these cattle round-ups, gather each spring in Lubbock for a competition at the Ranching Heritage Center AND then again at the Cowboy Symposium in September. It's amazing how good these guys are with firewood and a hole dug in the ground!! You ever get the chance to come down for one of these times, let me know and you can bunk at our place.

BTW Bart, The huge wood deal is done! Got a call yesterday. He estimates somewhere between 1.5 and 2.0 million pounds--I can have all or part--whatever I can haul.

Status
Not open for further replies.