No more internet sales!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roospike

Nov 19, 2005
Eastern Nebraska
No more internet sales is the word on the street for Husqvarna chainsaws .

Good ,bad or indifferent, if one is looking to buy a Husqvarna chainsaw $100.-$200. less than local then now is the time .

Not set in stone as of yet but some of the dealers at ArboristSite are saying the word is, it is so.

Well imagine a dealer when Joe Sh!t the Ragman walks in with his month old saw saying its screwed up?????????

Husky probably had enough calls to decide dealer only is best.

Didnt say dealer only , I wouldnt say the box stores are "dealers" , as a matter of fact the internet site i bought my saws from is a dealer and services what they sell and do warranty work , I didnt get the homeowner 101 on how to run a chainsaw but everything else i get + the discount. Dont think your going to get any service from the box stores. Its there business so its there call , does it tick me off ? No , not really .........it is what it is.

i disagree with huskys "no internet sales" stance and i don't think that is the problem. IMHO,the saws should cost the dealer, irregardless of size, the same amount.so when baileys buys 50 pallets of saws, the (small?) local dealer who stocks 50 saws, can buy them at the same price. that is the only way to level the field.

i guess the question would come up, why would you buy 50 pallets of saws then? if that were the case, the manufacture would be selling single saws, to all the dealers. They would also have no way of forcasting demand. Manufatures build based on pre orders. It would tear a company apart if they didnt have column pricing structures.

[quote author="MountainStoveGuy" date="1169103746"]i guess the question would come up, why would you buy 50 pallets of saws then?

my short answer is that they are planning on selling 50 palletts of saws. and that they are not trying to drive the small local dealer out of business by having them try to sustain themselves by doing the warranty work.

It would better serve the specialty industry if manufactures would stop making special cheap models for the large retalers and leave the small dealers with the image of being high priced.
If the cost was the same everywhere, dealers would olny buy what they need, and you would never find a overstock sale :)

MountainStoveGuy said:
It would better serve the specialty industry if manufactures would stop making special cheap models for the large retalers and leave the small dealers with the image of being high priced.
If the cost was the same everywhere, dealers would olny buy what they need, and you would never find a overstock sale :)

Question, How many low priced harborfreight kinda of tools do you own ?

Well , kinda like the lower grade Craftsman and Poulan chainsaws and then you have Husqvarnas / Stihls / Jonsered (babalu87 ;-) )

Tools are the same way as such of many items as you have good / high end items and then you have the lower grade cheaper tools and such.

HI Guys,

I found out about this this week, when I was doing research for my new 346xp (at least, if I can convince the missus, which is a big IF). The bigger sites (www.husky-saws.com) now havediswclaimers saying that they will not sell over the internet and that all information is displayed for 'local' people who want to come to the store and pick one out.

What they are really trying to say is:" give us a call with your credit card and we will send you one." That is the only way around the internet sales ban.

In capitalism, all large buyers get better prices on large quantities and normally pass the savings on to the consumer. If you were buying paper towels, that is not a problem, because they do not need maintenance. A chainsaw however, is a different creature.

I guess we should not complain about a dangerous tool that we use regularly and costs us $20-50 more locally. The service that keeps it in perfect running order will make up for it.

Carpniels

PS. most dealers in my area live of the professional wood cutters and their business. A homeowner like me that needs a saw once every 10 years and one chain, one gallon of bar oil and a sixpack of oil mix a year does not put any food on the table.!!!!!!!!

carpniels said:
PS. most dealers in my area live of the professional wood cutters and their business. A homeowner like me that needs a saw once every 10 years and one chain, one gallon of bar oil and a sixpack of oil mix a year does not put any food on the table.!!!!!!!!

No but 100 of them turn a London Broil into maybe a Ribeye

Thanks Roo ;)

I'm torn on this one. On one hand, I don't think it's appropriate to sell a dangerous tool like a chainsaw without providing some basic, in-person safety and maintenance guidance. Seems to me that's asking for trouble, and I think responsible manufacturers (Stihl & Jonsereds come to mind) realize that.

On the other hand, why penalize those who know what they're doing by making it impossible to get a deal over the internet?

Husqvarna is not trying to ban internet sales for the sake of consumer safety, however. It's all about maintaining their dealer frachises. And I wouldn't have a problem with that if the big box stores weren't involved. All the talk about safety is just that--talk--if you institutionalize a way around the fundamental safeguards that are built into the dealer-distribution arrangement.

They're trying to protect their dealers. This is were the profit margin is. However the 'net is a bit larger and the market porus... I don't think it's goint to be that big a deal. Most of us aren't wearing out to many saws (good)feeding stoves.

They sure did capture market share though.

ATB,
Mike P

This is all part of Husky being spun back off from ElectroLux and going back to being a standalone corporation. I wouldn't be surprised if they disappeared out of the box stores next.

That last post could indeed be the reason behind it. Secondly, in the USA I would never want to sell the most dangerous tool in existence without proper training by my dealers. Too many lawyers out there that will sue the deep pockets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carpniels

PS. I looked into the PE summit (after seing Roo's avatar) and that has got to be the most gorgeous color stove Roo has. What a beauty? How much do those run?

I bought my husky from:

http://www.southwestfastener.com/productsHusqChainsaw.htm

Specifically because they sold on the internet. Looks like they still have a good supply. They beat anything local by over $100. Which allowed me to split the differece and move up to a bigger saw and still save a few bucks.

* Standard disclaimer - no monetary or personal affiliation with this site.

Corey

Well Husqvarna has grown a lot over the past years so maybe its time for a change , who knows. They have been doing something right to become the largest outdoor tool supply company.

They have Husqvarna chainsaws and all the other Husqvarna line They even have a huge factory in my area that builds the zero turn mower and just built a new monster building a few miles away from the first one and have even expanded on to it sense then, they also have Jonsered , just bought Redmax , own Poulan and have the market on Craftsman label.

This company must be doing something right so i guess I'll just sit back and see where there going.

carpniels said:
That last post could indeed be the reason behind it. Secondly, in the USA I would never want to sell the most dangerous tool in existence without proper training by my dealers. Too many lawyers out there that will sue the deep pockets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carpniels

PS. I looked into the PE summit (after seing Roo avatar) and that has got to be the most gorgeous color stove Roo has. What a beauty? How much do those run?

Thanks carpniels,
Sunset red is what Pacific Energy calls it but the name has been changed per the hearth forum to WhoreHouse Red ;-)

The cost for the classic is about what the insert cost and depends on what color options you go with / gold door - gold legs - gold trivet / Black door - ect....
Cost around $2100. - $2300.

Hi Roo,

Thanks for the price info. About what I expected. I told my wife last night about my new dream stove and she was not pleased. I said I would show her your avatar and then she can decide. I might have to wait a few years, because I still need the gate in front of the stove for another 3 years or so until the kids are old enough to walk steady and not fall and trip into it. Plus now they are too obsessed with looking at the flames so they hold on to the gate to see them.

Once I can remove the gate, the real beauty of the stove will be apparent. Until then I can manage with the Isle Royale.

Carpniels

PS> I did get here interest piqued when I said that it produces 50% more heat that the Isle. The latter is 65K and the Summit is 100K according to the website. Nice. I really want it for the color and the EBT.

Roo does that include Baliyes

earthharvester said:

As of now , yes, that includs Baileys . From what i understand of it, Northern tools will be the only internet seller of the Husqvarna chainsaw ( full retail price )

Vintage 181 said:
earthharvester said:

Just got the 07 master catalog and husky is in it...Added the dolmars also.

The Dolmar sales through Baileys was also a flop , tho in there catalog for 07 the Dolmar distributor pulled the plug on there internet sales so no Dolmar through Baileys.

carpniels said:
Hi Roo,

Thanks for the price info. About what I expected. I told my wife last night about my new dream stove and she was not pleased. I said I would show her your avatar and then she can decide. I might have to wait a few years, because I still need the gate in front of the stove for another 3 years or so until the kids are old enough to walk steady and not fall and trip into it. Plus now they are too obsessed with looking at the flames so they hold on to the gate to see them.

Once I can remove the gate, the real beauty of the stove will be apparent. Until then I can manage with the Isle Royale.

Carpniels

PS> I did get here interest piqued when I said that it produces 50% more heat that the Isle. The latter is 65K and the Summit is 100K according to the website. Nice. I really want it for the color and the EBT.

Hey Niels,

What about all this snow? I think I'll be skiing before the weekend is over--probably right through town.

Relationship advice is not my thing, but dude--get her onboard for that new 346XP before you start talking about a new stove!

Hi Eric,

How about that snow? I had to snow blow twice. Both times a little under a foot. It looks like the more I stress the blower, the better it runs. In idle it runs, but revs up and down. Under full load, it is a champ.

I hear you on the 346xp. But she will probably want me to sell my 359. Use that money ($250-300) and then add some ($150-200) and get the 346xp. But then I start thinking: My saw is good, I know it well, it never failed me, etc. I don't cut THAT much wood. Why sell it, add some money and then get something that is quite similar.
How can I justify that? And what if I ever need a larger saw? Buy a 575xp? She would have my head!!

With regards to the stove: I don't know. She will probably want me to sell my stoves first and take that cash to pay for the other. But then what? Will I ever be satisfied?

Any thoughts?

Carpniels

Status
Not open for further replies.