No more scrounging?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

USMC80

Minister of Fire
Mar 27, 2013
New Jersey
Sent an email out on CL about a week ago to a guy posting free wood and mulch to be delivered. Told him I would take all hardwood in logs or rounds. Got an email last night from him saying he will be taking down a couple oak trees in town next to me and will drop off wood to my front yard!

I'm hoping this will be a reliable source for the years to come, time will tell. He is supposed to be dropping it off today. I will post some pics

Yes...pictures are a must. You may be surprised at how much he drops.....sometimes you get too much of a good thing

LOL.. ya was thinking same thing BB. But I am prepared and have made plenty of room in back yard

Pizza, subway sandwiches, 6 packs ;
go a long way to to assure reliability of the source .

Sweeten the deal if morning deliveries with doughnuts ;)

ya if they are good will def be around to hook them up with beers and pizza

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I was skeptical but he came through. Monster rounds of oak. Only two pieces that weren't cut right at 18" but I took care of that. Friend has my splitter so I mauled em and got a third of it to the backyard. Will move rest this week to make more room for him. Guessing just under a cord?

IMG_20130520_162906_459_zpsb8593e7a.jpg

IMG_20130520_163003_374_zps247329f4.jpg

IMG_20130520_184416_356_zps4ff7d088.jpg

Very nice, I envy your BTU's.

thanks, my start of 2017-18 wood supply

That will work up to be less than a cord. Just my swag.

There are two things that I like about living in NJ. Free wood delivered and cut to the length you order and full service gas.

Reactions: WeldrDave and JoeyD
Do you fist pump?

Can't beat that.

Now you can browse cl and laugh at the 'free wood' ads without being tempted to jump in your truck.

There are two things that I like about living in NJ. Free wood delivered and cut to the length you order and full service gas.

Firewood is about the only thing that seems to be cheap here. Plenty of free stuff and tons of guys selling cords, good or no worse then others post for $150 or less.

little more done today, had to PM my saw first. Id say almost 2/3's moved. Pic is 2 rounds deep with the half round starting the third row. Might be a cord after all. Have another 10 of the biggest left along with some smaller stuff left

IMG_20130521_184349_863_zps0b26b3b4.jpg

Reactions: WeldrDave
That is even better than money falling out of the sky. Dollar bills don't put out nearly the BTU's that oak does. Nice score.

USMC80, That guy anywhere near me down here?;).......

Hahaha, I was a little worried at first because he wouldn't tell me what company he was with or where he was out of

Firewood is about the only thing that seems to be cheap here.​
Joe, our average down here is about $165.00 +- If your more North, it does go down in price a bit. A couple winters back, I was away and my wife bought 2 cord. They hit her for $175 each and it was CRAP, mixed, wet, rotted. etc.... I was dissapointed how someone took advantage of her:mad:. Unfortunatley, she didn't save the guy's phone #.... If she had, I would have given him some "INSTRUCTION"!

You say those rounds are 18"s? some of those look to be 12"s or so?? And some of that looks like it may be maple?

yes there are 2 or 3 at less than 18. I told him nothing over 18.

Not good with wood ID but pretty sure its oak, all i know its heavy as hell

yes there are 2 or 3 at less than 18. I told him nothing over 18.

Not good with wood ID but pretty sure its oak, all i know its heavy as hell
Yeah, that's red oak. Smells kinda like apple cider vinegar, especially when you fresh cut or split it.....

Status
Not open for further replies.