No one wants free wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No free wood around here in western MA...everybody wants money for it...alot of money too.

The free wood gets snatched up very quickly around here - same day usually. I have abandoned using those ads and just using word of mouth these days.

oh well, far be it from me not to get my 2 cents worth in on this post. i been busy splitting 2.5 cords of swamp maple that I picked up for free back in may 08. I got my 3 wood sheds stacked almost full to the roof, only a little space, a foot or less, left just under the ceiling.
I love the way my huskee 22 ton log splitter makes fast work of even 38 inch trunk slices.
I got the whole pile split except for 15 logs that are left for later this week. I also picked up 3 pick up truck loads of free pallets & have them all busted up,cut & stacked & i actually had 15 pallets that managed to survive last winter with out getting burned & they are busted,cut & stacked now too.

So,Im almost all done with my free wood scrounging for the 08/09 winter, as I have almost no place dry left that is not already full of wood.

Of course, im not beyond retriving targets of oppritunity. If free wood falls into my lap, what I like to call neighborhood wood, i pick it up. 3 honda hatchbacks full of 2x4 by 6 ft used lumber
I find out at the curb in the neighborhood, about 12 wheelbarrows full, so far. And I even fit 5
28 inch trunk slices into the hatchback & took them home too.

I find a 4 x8 ft class 1 utility trailer transports 1000 lbs of wood per trip in addition to the 400 or so lbs of wood I usually manage to fit into my hatchback.

And a utility trailer can be had new from $350.oo to $799.oo depending on who & where you buy it from.

I might pick up some more free wood as I was thinking I could put it on a pallet & slide it under the 28 ft x 8 ft old construction office trailer that I use for a wood shed where the wood can stay relatively dry ,except 4 sideways rain. There is a good 2 ft clearance under that trailer that can be used to store surplus wood, just in case I use more than I did last year.

My house used to comsume 3000 gal of fuel oil on a bad winter & at $5.00/gal today's prices
it would have cost me $15,000.oo to heat for the winter instead of the $50.oo I gave to the high school kid to load & unload his pick up truck with 5 loads of maple.

So,it looks like I'm all set for the winter.

I didn't start splitting until the second week of june, but I had a lingering illness & death in the immediate family to contend with for the past year & i was the only caregiver available so I did as good as I could considering everything.

I had to steal an hour here & an hour there from caring for my 96 year old mom to go out & scrounge free wood. She had extreeme conjestive heart failure for which there is no cure,
but in april I sent her to hospital because she was at the point where home care was out of the question but she only lasted a month in hospital.

All in all,she had a long ,happy & fufilling life & i am glad she is no longer suffering.

But , I think Im going stir crazy talking to the walls now that I'm all alone & Im not sure that the walls like what I have to say because they seem to show their displeasue by pealing & cracking , or is that just from the temp differentials when I don't lite the wood stove????

Now that I'm done splitting free wood, I can find time to go patch the leaks in the roof.
Now,Just Where did I see that bundle of roll roofing?

Well, I guess I rambled on for long enough, & thensome,I'd wager.

Status
Not open for further replies.