No pic yet....but

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muncybob

Minister of Fire
Apr 8, 2008
Near Williamsport, PA
We are expecting the birth of our 1st foal any day now. Mom and dad are Paints and our daughter is hoping for lots of color to turn the new one into a show horse(she trains/shows part time professionaly). Getting a bit nervous now each morning when making the trip out to feed. Perfect Pictures to follow :)

Woo hoo !!

I'd be doing 2 hour visits !!!

Breeding?

We went 50/50 with our daughter on the purchase of the mare. She was artificially done. Wife works 3rd shift so the mare gets frequent visits. She's been filling up with milk and apparently tends to deliver a bit early so we are guessing it's within the next week or 2 at the most. Haven't been this nervous since the Mrs was pregnant some 30+ years ago!

Pics of mom?

I'm growing weary of pacing with no news... :roll:

I meant the mare's breeding, silly :)

I've a friend that had CSS delivered for her mare both times she was bred. The outside said "stallion in a box" ;-)

*edit .. in this case CSS does NOT mean cut, split, and stacked*

My daughter would know about the blood line. I'm just the stable boy! Here's a pic of the soon to be mommy. We hope the foal will have her disposition as she is about the calmest and most affectionate horse I've ever come across.

Attachments

• P1020245.jpg
    P1020245.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 569
Awesome !! I'm very partial to sorrel overo's %-P

What a doll face! I just wanna pet her nose...

Was she tested for OLWS? (overo lethal white syndrome?) Mucho importante.

Yes, she was tested....good to go!

Nice horse muncybob. Thanks for sharing the pics. Your daughter is a lucky girl. How old is she and how old is the horse? My wife and kids would like to get a horse. I told them maybe in the distant future. Cost of the horse, housing it, and vet bills can be expensive. For now, some riding lessons, and a little time with them, when we can afford it.

Rosie(horse in pic) is about 6. Daughter(now 30) has been showing/riding horses since she was 5. Spent many summer days at 4H competitions and county fairs. We boarded our 1st 2 horses on a friends farm for 10+ years until finally finding our current "country" home. 1st project was to build a small barn(hoping this would limit the number of horses!). They are a lot of work and expense, but I'm told it's worth it. Since I only trail ride a few times each year I'm not convinced of that but I can say there are much worse thngs my daughter could have been doing while growing up!

muncybob said:
Rosie(horse in pic) is about 6. Daughter(now 30) has been showing/riding horses since she was 5. Spent many summer days at 4H competitions and county fairs. We boarded our 1st 2 horses on a friends farm for 10+ years until finally finding our current "country" home. 1st project was to build a small barn(hoping this would limit the number of horses!). They are a lot of work and expense, but I'm told it's worth it. Since I only trail ride a few times each year I'm not convinced of that but I can say there are much worse thngs my daughter could have been doing while growing up!

Excellent point Bob!

Damn. Now I am eventually going to have to build a barn and buy a horse. Oh well. Both the wife and kids are worth it. Weeeeell, I guess I better get back to work and making money then. :)

Gasifier said:
muncybob said:

Excellent point Bob!

Damn. Now I am eventually going to have to build a barn and buy a horse. Oh well. Both the wife and kids are worth it. Weeeeell, I guess I better get back to work and making money then. :)

I agree 100%. Horses taught the Dixette responsibility, sportsmanship, and oh so many other things. I knew where she was and what she was doing and who she was doing it with (usually). Friendships forged then (she's the same age as Muncy's daughter) are still strong and flourishing. It was worth the investment!!

Good on the OLWS testing. Some breeders don't, and just take their chances. Sad on many levels as the foals never stand a chance.

I think we are getting real close. She didn't want to come into the stall last night(that's a first) and was walking around with her tail up a bit which is unusual for her unless she's excited about something. Haven't noticed any "waxing" but I guess they don't always do that? Seems to be filling up with milk....must remember to buy cigars on the way home tonight :) I haven't been this nervous since the first time I fired up our wood boiler!

Sounds like she's getting closer. Waxing... not always, but usually.

Make sure to get pics of the first few attempts at standing. Keep a video camera in the barn :)

It's an awesome thing !

I hate to say this but I got bucked/knocked off a horse when I was 5-6 years old. So when anybody ask me how I like horses I always tell them with ketchup and mustard! :lol: I know sick joke!

Gary

Farrier was out today...says she's most likely to birth this week. I've been saying that for a week now but what do I know!? Got the cameras ready. Looks like the temps will be mild again for the next few days.

Gary, only ever was thrown off once. She was a fairly new horse(still have her) and riding under a tree I snapped off a twig near her ear and she spooked. Hurt my hip a bit, but dusted myself off...gave her a few choice words and kept on riding. The rest of that ride I snapped twigs in her ear as much a possible..no problem now :)

If it were not for my daughter and wife I doubt I would have ever got into a saddle, so I know where you are coming from. :)

muncybob said:
Farrier was out today...says she's most likely to birth this week. I've been saying that for a week now but what do I know!? Got the cameras ready. Looks like the temps will be mild again for the next few days.

Gary, only ever was thrown off once. She was a fairly new horse(still have her) and riding under a tree I snapped off a twig near her ear and she spooked. Hurt my hip a bit, but dusted myself off...gave her a few choice words and kept on riding. The rest of that ride I snapped twigs in her ear as much a possible..no problem now :)

If it were not for my daughter and wife I doubt I would have ever got into a saddle, so I know where you are coming from. :)

Left side, right side :p

OK, I'm pacing here !!!!!

What color was the stud?

Here is the info my daughter sent me. Rosie is our mare. I believe the sire has similar color as Rosie in the pic.

His name is Hesa Cool Hotrod, own son of Certain Potential.. Hot Rod is double reg APHA/AQHA so if we owned a AQHA mare the baby would be double unfortunately Rosie is just APHA.. Roise is an own daughter of Radical Rodder out of a Zippin Mare.. Hot Rod is an unanimous APHA world Champion.

This morning my wife was out in the barn longer than usual so I was all ready to grab the camera and head out! I guess she was just taking her time as there was no little one there. Next few nights are supposed to be failry mild so I'm gonna have a talk with Rosie tonight to get with the program :)

Cool. I see how he's double registered... just enough white on his belly & his leg.

I would think you'd get some color out of that. Dixie came out of a solid chestnut AQHA mare, and a LOUD overo stallion. She looks way more like her Daddy than her Momma ( bless Momma's soul) :) Two Eyed Jack, Sonny Dee Bar, & Hustlers Ole Man.

Matisse, on the other hand, is a rescue, and hence a mystery (bay tobiano). She's gaited at the jog, but her lope is a true western lope. Go figure.

This mare has not dropped yet???

Not yet...getting a bit concerned now but, apparently there was more than 1 attempt to breed her so the expected date may have been off.

Edit: Just got a phone call from the Mrs...she is dripping milk now so looks like we are getting real close. Also just found out that March 3 is her projected late delivery date. May leave work early for this :)

Status
Not open for further replies.